spreadbore choices vs Edelbrock 500

-

powerwaggin

Reaction score
Just found an Offy Dual Port Spread-Bore manifold for 273/318 small port heads. Now I need a carb for my mild Rv cammed 318 powered '73 W200. I've got an Edelbrock 500 that I could use with a square bore adaptor.....I'll need to adapt also for my 727 kickdown linkage (Carter BBD originally).
I've read alot about carb preferences and would buy a brand new spread bore if it were available, for torque and mileage considerations. (Love how the 69 Q-jet works in my '59 Chivvy Panel Truck...don't hit me!)
Anyone care to shead some light

Spread or square bore, just tune it well and it will matter little. The 500 is small enuff to stand very well on it's own since the primary bores are also very small like a T-Q or Q-J.

I think I'll use the Edelbrock 500. I take it I will need the #1481 Dodge cable adaptor.......will I be able to drop the slotted 727 kickdown linkage rod over a long pivot as on my old BBD? Or do I need to switch to a cable kickdown? I see that y'all have dicussed this umpteen times so thanks for bearing with me!

You can adapt the OE kickdown stuff with a bolt and nut and 2 washers. I like the nylon lock nut myself. It'll get tight without binding the linkage.

I have also used the cable from Lokar. It's very nice, expensive and not truly needed in your case.

The pictures below show it done on a OE AVS. It'll be the same for you only on the AFB

100_1020.JPG

100_1021.JPG

100_1022.JPG

100_1023.JPG

-
Back