wishihadahemi

Reaction score
using 977 cc spring, 1.460 od and they are hitting on the harland sharp rockers

rockers advertised to clear 1.550

what gives?

Attachments

• Back to Thunder Valley 007 - Copy.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 178
Is it hitting the spring or retainer? How long of a valve are you running? What is your installed height? That spring is designed for a 1.850" installed height and that is pretty tall for a small block head. You may have to raise the rocker shaft to get things to clear.

It's a well designed rocker arm. Something else isn't right. Grind it into a pile of aluminum dust if you want to. I'm done.

yes they are long valves, with a higher lock groove,but springs are touching at mid point in body of rocker.
retainer clears,they are 1.400 od
valves +.300
inst. ht. 1.850
lift@ret. .610
using 2 .060 shims and a spring cup
tried shimming shaft up but roller tip starts going to edge of valve tip
can't grind them, will weaken
looking for smaller od spring, found a Crower 68382 that is 1.450 with the correct rate

1.437 clears fine if the geometry is right or close.

roller to valve tip alignment must be spot on as well or they will still touch.

I dont believe you're gonna get it any better with 1.45 springs without extra clearance to the rocker cup.

it does not compromise the integrity of the rocker to clearance them some, though there is a point that they will...

what does the stem height come out at?
stock is around/between 1.907-1.937 with around 1.915-1.918 being pretty decent, if I remember right..

use the beehive springs.the last set i ground on broke and im talking thos.But the best techer is experence........Artie

heres what a 1.437 spring/retainer will do if the side play/geometry is off.

Attachments

• Photo 1146.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Photo 1148.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 144
using 977 cc spring, 1.460 od and they are hitting on the harland sharp rockers

rockers advertised to clear 1.550

what gives?

My PBR's (yes i'm a cheap SOB) had the same problem on our J-Heads.....had them milled to clear.

PBR's site actually claims they won't fit TA or AAR heads :banghead:

Our 408 only has run-in time on the stand and all is good.....we will see down the road :glasses7:

Rickster

With those heads that spring height is too high to use those rockers. The geometry is all off. In order to do it at that height you need to mill off the rocker stands and use the W2 offset shafts and stands. That's a lot of work to invest in a stock casting head though if you ask me.

-
Back