spring relocate and mini tub

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
any of u 67-8-9 barracuda owners ever try to use the stock interior sail panel that cover the rear fender wells on a mini tub? Can it be done ?

I have not but many I have seen use the the stock wheelhouse covers!

Not sure if you're talking fastback , but,,,,When I bought my shell there was no interior and all the seat mounts were cut out and the rear was carpeted at one time. I knew I was putting buckets in the rear and modified them accordingly. The dilemma was the rear area. I welded up a frame and made a rear deck and modified the sail panels to fit. the "down legs" in front of the well were trimmed to fit and the tubs carpeted between the seat back and wall.The drop down panel still works and opens up to the original rear floor panel.

20150608_170437.jpg

20150802_160204.jpg

20150802_170556.jpg

20150818_183013.jpg

20150824_183850.jpg

20151221_195640.jpg

20150824_183911.jpg

Not sure if you're talking fastback , but,,,,When I bought my shell there was no interior and all the seat mounts were cut out and the rear was carpeted at one time. I knew I was putting buckets in the rear and modified them accordingly. The dilemma was the rear area. I welded up a frame and made a rear deck and modified the sail panels to fit. the "down legs" in front of the well were trimmed to fit and the tubs carpeted between the seat back and wall.The drop down panel still works and opens up to the original rear floor panel.

View attachment 1715245866

View attachment 1715245867

View attachment 1715245868

View attachment 1715245869

View attachment 1715245870

View attachment 1715245871

View attachment 1715245872

Interesting. A little out of the box thinking there!
I `ve got mine set up as business coupe, finished in black. I guess "IF", I minitub it I`ll do something similar . I don`t like unfinished interiors either.
Also wondering if mini tubbing will make the orig form S body worth less or more > ??????

20171018_164731.jpg
I have mine roughed in like this. If i stick with this plan, the inner wheel wells will get carpet and ill run some kind of edge (5/16 rubber hose split down side?). My other plan would involve much more fabrication. I have also had to modify my rear seat back, I'll have to finesse the lower corner fabric to make it look finished.

Interesting. A little out of the box thinking there!
I `ve got mine set up as business coupe, finished in black. I guess "IF", I minitub it I`ll do something similar . I don`t like unfinished interiors either.
Also wondering if mini tubbing will make the orig form S body worth less or more > ??????
Well... "IF" you do, it will lower the value for someone looking for a stock tub "S" or it could raise the personal value for the current owner. These cars aren't gold mines and by the time they are (?) we would be to old to capitalize. Have fun.

View attachment 1715245929 I have mine roughed in like this. If i stick with this plan, the inner wheel wells will get carpet and ill run some kind of edge (5/16 rubber hose split down side?). My other plan would involve much more fabrication. I have also had to modify my rear seat back, I'll have to finesse the lower corner fabric to make it look finished.
This is something similar to what I was thinking, definitely will be carpeted. Good to see the pics too! thanks.

Well... "IF" you do, it will lower the value for someone looking for a stock tub "S" or it could raise the personal value for the current owner. These cars aren't gold mines and by the time they are (?) we would be to old to capitalize. Have fun.

At 72, not sure how much this is fun anymore ! LOL

If i were to do it again, i would try to find an after market inner wheel well. The US carpool splice worked great but after all the spot weld removing and hole plugging a new piece would probably have looked better. I had to also re use/ modify my trunk spring supports as the kit supplies ones made for a dart/notch. A plasma cutter is your friend in this job...as well as careful templating of floorcutting.

I cut the "adapters" off the stock supports and made new ones to fit after the tubs were done, rewelded them right where the original spot welds were. just a little cardboard for a template and......

20150609_165815.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like these, I want mine finished looking , and will work the stock fender covers (inside) into the finished product, Will still run it as a business coupe, but want it pretty neat inside. Going to cost about $1500 with new tires and wheels .
Why do I always come up with this stuff right before Christmas !??!

Thanks Bob. I did the hydraulic lift thing too. Trunk lid goes up n down real smooth. Disregard my crappy cover job on the supports , that has to be worked over somehow although it will be covered. I can fit the 325/50s no problem.

15417753899541006427761.jpg

15417755475771854480371.jpg

Not that it is much help. But I saw a fastback at the Garland Texas Show that tubbed his car and also cut down the width of the backseat so it would still fold down. The guy was from Tyler Texas.and he did most of the re-fit work on the panels. So it has been done and I was amazed at how good it looked. He runs in the nostalgia as races down here

Not that it is much help. But I saw a fastback at the Garland Texas Show that tubbed his car and also cut down the width of the backseat so it would still fold down. The guy was from Tyler Texas.and he did most of the re-fit work on the panels. So it has been done and I was amazed at how good it looked. He runs in the nostalgia as races down here
Maybe I misunderstood famous bob's question. He asked if tubbing his car would lower the value.

Ahhh. got it. When you quoted me I thought I missed something. I know there are a couple members here (one with a bright yellow trimmed interior and exterior) that have done this and modified their seats. It looks good when done.

Hey 68cuda408,
Do you remember how the yellow fastback finished his sail panels?
Thanks

No .but I remember it was very yellow. the subject was the same though. I'll hunt around here, if I find it I'll link it.

-
Back