Spring relocation kit installed wrong?

-
I do have a bad vibration in the driveline I was told is a bad transmission mount, the more I look into how this suspension was all setup I’m going to have to check pinion angles and now you’ve even got me thinking a wobble could possibly come from the yoke being poorly engaged and possibly causing play in that ujoint as well

I do have a bad vibration in the driveline I was told is a bad transmission mount, the more I look into how this suspension was all setup I’m going to have to check pinion angles and now you’ve even got me thinking a wobble could possibly come from the yoke being poorly engaged and possibly causing play in that ujoint as well

Can you show a picture of the tape measure measuring the yoke spacing?

Can you show a picture of the tape measure measuring the yoke spacing?

1 3/4” exposed and almost 3” from the tail shaft. I looked through the documentation I got with the car and the driveshaft was shortened in 2016 to “measurements given by owner” the owner in question was the gentleman who I bought the car from who did the driveline conversion from /6 to 360/727 and 8 3/4 rear, hopefully someone can chime in and mention about how far it should be seated

Also in those documents I found an install instruction for the mopar spring relocation kit, and the instructions are foggy at best... I can see how someone going off their instructions could make the mistake of installing the shackle mount wrong, still not sure if this is the actual mopar kit, I’m still guessing home made

E7338854-D6A0-4F6A-B5C8-1722E9F10B43.jpeg

AE6A7654-D41B-4BD4-8212-F5244875B6CB.jpeg

2 more measurements, center of front uj to center of rear uj. and center of front Eye bolt of the leaf spring to the center of the locator pin in the differential leaf spring mounting pad.

2 more measurements, center of front uj to center of rear uj. and center of front Eye bolt of the leaf spring to the center of the locator pin in the differential leaf spring mounting pad.

48” Center ujoint to ujoint on driveshaft

19 5/8 eye bolt to Center of leaf pack pin

Hopefully someone knows the measurements, I can measure mine tomorrow when its light outside.

1 3/4” exposed and almost 3” from the tail shaft. I looked through the documentation I got with the car and the driveshaft was shortened in 2016 to “measurements given by owner” the owner in question was the gentleman who I bought the car from who did the driveline conversion from /6 to 360/727 and 8 3/4 rear, hopefully someone can chime in and mention about how far it should be seated

Also in those documents I found an install instruction for the mopar spring relocation kit, and the instructions are foggy at best... I can see how someone going off their instructions could make the mistake of installing the shackle mount wrong, still not sure if this is the actual mopar kit, I’m still guessing home made

View attachment 1715309791

View attachment 1715309792
Looks like the driveshaft is a inch too short

Do you think that maybe locating the shackles correctly will lower the axle height and move the yoke in a bit.

Definitly , rear end being back too far would do that >
The front spring mounts and the springs control the rear end. If the rear end were a inch back, the wheels wouldn't center in the rear wheel openings. The driveshaft was modified and made too short it looks like.

That's a bit short. When I had my driveshaft cut and balanced it was 48 3/4 c to c on the u joints.

Mine was 48.5 with the yoke pulled 3/4” out from bottomed in the tranny.

Is it possible this has E body springs on it, think they are longer?

The front spring mounts and the springs control the rear end. If the rear end were a inch back, the wheels wouldn't center in the rear wheel openings. The driveshaft was modified and made too short it looks like.
I didn`t go back and look but weren`t there 1/2" spacers welded in the front to move the rear back ? Some guys do that to help center the wheels in the wells.

I didn`t go back and look but weren`t there 1/2" spacers welded in the front to move the rear back ? Some guys do that to help center the wheels in the wells.
No spacers, just a relocation kit. now if it was home made it could be the wrong dimensions.

See post 54. The drive shaft has been shortened.

In post #7, I'm led to believe that there's a 727 transmission in the car. Can you verify this is and isn't a shorter 904 trans?

In post #7, I'm led to believe that there's a 727 transmission in the car. Can you verify this is and isn't a shorter 904 trans?
Boy, it sounds like a comedy of errors. Lots of different things that need corrected. The rear hangers and driveshaft length for sure.

Just for grins and giggles get the tire to fender spacing. Front and rear of tire.

Last edited:
Quick measurement, I get about 20" for eye to pin, 68 GTS convertible. Back to check out your trans 727 or 904 and confirm workmanship of the front hanger location.

Just for grins and giggles get the tire to fender spacing. Front and rear of tire.
Agreed. If the wheels are centered then the front hanger is in just about the right place. There could be a spring issue if they were changed. I remember seeing a chart with the measurements of the Mopar springs. I will see if I can find that. The springs could be an issue but not likely.

spring chart.jpg

So crawling under the trans pan does match that of a 727, the start of the serial number is “PK” and attached is a photo showing the Center of the rear wheel off the front of the wheel well

6802147C-0A2D-4F2D-AA33-64C38F19961A.jpeg

-
Back