Spring relocation ride height question

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
I want to keep leafs under the rear of a 70 dart.

I plan on mini tubs and would like to relocate the springs for extra tire clearance. Two questions

I plan on building with some corner carving in mind. Should I use SS springs or some other leaf setup?

How much is ride height increased with the inboard springs?

I would like avoid that jacked up funny car look but want to increase the available tire clearance.

Thanks.

I think the back is not jacked up to much.....
It looks about right to me....

Attachments

• Duster-Duster.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC02564.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0055-1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 370
I think the back is not jacked up to much.....
It looks about right to me....
Your Duster looks great. I am trying to decide what leaf springs to use on my Grocery Getter restomod - I really like the height of the back end and the look of the back tires. Cragar S/S is the only choice. Can you tell me what springs you used - also would moving them in board affect the height? I am leaving the springs in the stock location (so I say now), but deciding between the XHD and SS springs. Also, can you fill me in on your wheel / tire sizes?

Thanks Larry

SupperStock Springs moved inward....

P275/60R15 BFG Radial TA WL

Moving them inwards different make a big difference to me... in height.

Your Duster looks great. I am trying to decide what leaf springs to use on my Grocery Getter restomod - I really like the height of the back end and the look of the back tires. Cragar S/S is the only choice. Can you tell me what springs you used - also would moving them in board affect the height? I am leaving the springs in the stock location (so I say now), but deciding between the XHD and SS springs. Also, can you fill me in on your wheel / tire sizes?

Thanks Larry

If you're trying to hit the corners, youll want to lower the car not raise it up. Install the Hotchkis rear leaf springs or better yet the hotchkis TVS system. Member AutoXCuda has this system on his car says it handles unreal, he also auto races the cuda!

If you're trying to hit the corners, youll want to lower the car not raise it up. Install the Hotchkis rear leaf springs or better yet the hotchkis TVS system. Member AutoXCuda has this system on his car says it handles unreal, he also auto races the cuda!

i was just gonna say that.. lol

SS springs are not meant for corner carving, thats for sure.

Yea I knew the SS springs werent what I really wanted. I just didnt know there was any other choices out there. Will look into the Hotchkis. As far as the spring mounts, Does anybody think the springs moved inward would have any major effect on handling. I just figure that the further out the springs are on the axle, the less roll.

Yea I knew the SS springs werent what I really wanted. I just didnt know there was any other choices out there. Will look into the Hotchkis. As far as the spring mounts, Does anybody think the springs moved inward would have any major effect on handling. I just figure that the further out the springs are on the axle, the less roll.

If you move the springs in, your car should sit the same. The springs should have the mounting holes the same height as the stock locations. Now if you do the spring relocating, you will have trouble with a rear sway bar.
Just put a Hotchkis kit with my son on his car. Drop the rear of the car about an inch.

I seen somewhere on here that a cuds swar bar would be about the right size..... I remember....

If you move the springs in, your car should sit the same. The springs should have the mounting holes the same height as the stock locations. Now if you do the spring relocating, you will have trouble with a rear sway bar.
Just put a Hotchkis kit with my son on his car. Drop the rear of the car about an inch.

I use +1 circle track springs in mine. IIRC the part# ends with a 15 for mine. They ride nice and cost $90 each.

hotchkis says their rear leafs correct geometry. is that just a slight pinion angle change?

Moving the springs to the rails will work against your effort to make your car handle better. Sure, you'll get bigger tires, but the body is now supported by springs that are closer together. This will allow for more body sway. This can be partially corrected by using a sway bar in the rear, but I would let the supplier know that you relocated the springs and what your intentions are with the vehicle.

My spring relocate didn't change my ride height at all. I also have two front spring holes so that I can adjust it if it did. These are basically new ESPO +1 springs after relocation.

Dart2012007Medium.jpg

A good set of shocks will correct any added body roll. A sway bar may or may not be needed depending on the spring rate. A lot of research on some of these same questions. I have found the most will run without a rear sway bar on road course/autocross cars.
AutoXcuda has a great understanding of what works. He is about the only guy I know that has considerable seat time. I have talked with him several times and he's always willing to help.
Tim

-
Back