springs again

-

highflyer

Reaction score
Cant seem to find a set of springs for the dist.but i have a number of the lightweight stock springs from mother mopar.originals..what am i gonna get if i run two of these lite springs in my dist.iv got my slots recut a new vac can just need to figure the springs..any ideas here..thanks ..j

What have you GOT in your distributor now? A big spring and a little one? If so, try removing the big one. A LOT of times, that's just right for a good street curve.

standard 73 set is in it..Id like to try both of the weaker springs in stead of the thick and thin of it..im sure someone has done it..im kinda looking for how it worked out...tx..j

Mr Gasket usually A&A auto or any auto parts carys them for like 10 bucks.

OK Good enuf..ill try the parts stores tomorrow and if I cant find some ill throw the weak stockers in there and see what it does./.thanks all ..j

standard 73 set is in it..Id like to try both of the weaker springs in stead of the thick and thin of it..im sure someone has done it..im kinda looking for how it worked out...tx..j

I HAVE done exactly what I decribed. Take the big spring out. Leave the little one in. It works pretty good and costs nothing.

what keeps the weight without from flopping around.without a spring to control it.Iwould think inertia is trying to push it out..i just built another dist and put it in but havnt had a chance to drive it to see if there is any improvement..two litgher springs and welded and remachined slots at .435....13 degrees I hop=e..seems like it wants 2 more degrees initial..j

You've obviously never had one apart. Once you do, you'll understand. It's a modification I've done probably 50 or more times. It's even in the Mopar engine book somewhere.

Iv what.you didn't read my post iv had em apart many times iv rebuilt japenese Toyota mopar..cleaned em rebuilt em.used to make new bushings and rebuild em for a tech at a dealership in concord cal..yet I still don't know what keeps em[weights]without springs from flopping around????

The weights move together so all they really need is one spring to return. They cannot move independently of each other.

I still don't know what keeps em[weights]without springs from flopping around????

Nothing, the weights will slam into end of slot and sometimes bounce back and slam the stop again eventually stabilizing in a street car at certain rpm ranges. It is an old drag racer’s mod to get the fastest advance, and where a drag car has two throttle positions; off and wide open it works well.

In a street machine the big long loop spring cushions governor weight as it swings out, and slowly allows the last three degrees of advance to creep in by about 2800 rpm. The designers of the distributor and timing curve put that spring in there for a reason.

-
Back