Spy and malware fixes...

-

Frankie

Member #9641
Reaction score
Does anyone know of and used a good, SAFE spyware and malware program?

I have issue with anything connected to "Safecart" as I'm have strong suspicions that they were involved with my credit card number getting sold.
I recently got a call from my credit card's fraud department telling me that I had nearly $!0K in hotel charges on my card everywhere from New Orleans to Jamaica, to China!

So anything that has anything to do with safe cart is out of the question.

I used to use Spy Bot, it was free, but now there is a charge, and it is connected to the SafeCart brand.

Anything good that you use that is trustworthy, and effective?

Thanks.

I've used this free version............
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Spybot not free?

[ame="http://www.filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/"]Download Spybot Search & Destroy 2.4 - FileHippo.com[/ame]

The spybot down load is free, but after the scan, and they show you the problems, they require a credit card to fix it.
The free download is a teaser.

x2 malware bytes is what the computer repair guys i deal with recommend. Lawrence

Try AVG free edition. I used it before I went to Mac. My wife still uses it. Anyone who can afford too.... make the transition to Mac. They last longer, don't get all the viruses and updates are better. I built my MacBook Pro with 16 gigs of ram and a terabyte(1,000gb) drive for $450 when all said and done. It performs way better then the wife's PC. Hardware wise they are built better and last longer. Pc's in general used to be built really well but not recently. In order to mass produce laptops for 200 to 300 out the door the use cheaper components. The old PC's were different and lasted way longer. I still have an old one in the garage that works great. But newer ones will have the motherboard/ Logic board crap out suddenly after 3 to 4 years. If you can afford to make a move to Mac. Even if you go used or build your own from components. They last longer, don't need Virus bloatware to run down your hard drive
And will run both Mac OS and windows if wanted.

Malwarebytes anti-malware is free and can be downloaded at CNET

[ame="http://download.cnet.com/windows/"]Windows PC software downloads and reviews from CNET Download.com[/ame]

I also use Microsoft Security Essentials as my protection antivirus, anti-malware etc. It is downloadable for free at Microsoft.com

Here's a link for Microsoft Security Essentials free download: Description:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/microsoft-security-essentials.aspx

Download:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

Both have anti-malware in them. I use security essentials all the time and malwarebytes as a "second check" now and then.

I haven't had any problems with either of them.

The spybot down load is free, but after the scan, and they show you the problems, they require a credit card to fix it.

I wonder if its the newer versions or all now. I think you can download older versions on that site.

They do that to bait you into buying it.

Try the two free ones that I just recommended above. They don't "bait" you to buy another version and don't "hang" on your computer.

Another vote for MalwareBytes. I also prefer Avast! over AVG, but to each their own. There's also HijackThis, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Another vote for MalwareBytes. I also prefer Avast! over AVG, but to each their own. There's also HijackThis, but it is not for the faint of heart.

Yes, not bad. They are all available at CNET. I recommend reading the reviews before deciding on which ones you choose.

I like Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials myself.

If you want something that works well I have to agree about Malwarebytes free.
If cleaning up after an infection, the Superantispyware also.

Ccleaner is great for removing temp files (possible infections reside there)
and it removes the files that are left on your computer after logging in to banks or other such institutions. (A good thing)

As far as AV software, we use and recommend Comodo Internet Security with firewall.

This is our main business. (Computers)

You really should be running a comprehensive antivirus and security program such as Kaspersky Pure. It can eradicate viruses and spyware/malware that others miss.

If you want something that works well I have to agree about Malwarebytes free.
If cleaning up after an infection, the Superantispyware also.

Ccleaner is great for removing temp files (possible infections reside there)
and it removes the files that are left on your computer after logging in to banks or other such institutions. (A good thing)

As far as AV software, we use and recommend Comodo Internet Security with firewall.

This is our main business. (Computers)

^x2 this is the guy who knows , but Beast if your gonna fly that flag ya gotta photoshop a steaming pile between the tire marks eh !

I've got a Winhozed 7 I've gotta clean up (bought it used) I used Winhoard so seldom, anymore, I forget "whatya need ta do" anymore

USE LINUX dammit!!!!

malwarebytes, spybot search & destroy, hijackthis, and the trend micro house call usually take care of anything I have come across.

I two, prefer Avast! over AVG, but I have read more than once that the detection tools are more strict, and you will find more hits with your scans. I personally dont like it though because it deletes files from my torrent downloads without asking.....

I used the free version of Malwarebytes. It seems to have done the trick.

I will be looking into all your suggested products before I commit to purchasing one.
Thanks for the help everyone.

I used the free version of Malwarebytes. It seems to have done the trick.

I will be looking into all your suggested products before I commit to purchasing one.
Thanks for the help everyone.

I wouldn't bother Frankie, as I do this stuff professionally and use the free Malwarebytes and Ccleaner to clean up most average infections.
Occasionally I need a process killer like Nortons NPE, or Rkill but it's not real common.

The problem with the paid Malwarebytes is that it's running in the background all the time, and I don't care for that.

Comodo
Avast
MSE
AVG

All free and pretty darn good, and the order I listed them is the order of preference for me.

I wouldn't bother Frankie, as I do this stuff professionally and use the free Malwarebytes and Ccleaner to clean up most average infections.
Occasionally I need a process killer like Nortons NPE, or Rkill but it's not real common.

The problem with the paid Malwarebytes is that it's running in the background all the time, and I don't care for that.

Comodo
Avast
MSE
AVG

All free and pretty darn good, and the order I listed them is the order of preference for me.

Thank you. I'll take your advice.

Thank you. I'll take your advice.

Some people don't like Comodo because it asks permission for things to run until it learns what is normal. (and some people are too lazy to click "Allow" or "Run Unlimited" until it does learn.)

But then, some people are too lazy to use turn signals also. :D

It will ask about most new programs installed, but other than that it pretty much leaves you alone.
If you do decide on Comodo, uncheck all the extra crap like "Use our secure servers" and Geek Buddy, and Comodo Dragon Browser unless you want to try them.
They can be unsinstalled if not wanted.

Love the new avatar. That's hilarious.

-
Back