Squeeling and Jumping speedometer

-

emnestor

emnestor
Reaction score
Before I tear into my cluster can anyone tell me if this is most likely cable related or Speedo gears(cluster) related?
1972 Dodge Dart

Hard to say, I would lube the cable first, disconnect from the speedo and slide cable out of housing. Grease it up and slide it back in. this has fixed some jumping speedos for me.

Used graphite on our 1975 Scamp last weekend...took care of the jumpy speedometer...rock steady now...drove it on a road that has a "your speed" display and it was spot on...Marla

Pretty sure it's the cable. Mine does the same when it's damp - the first time I heard it/saw it I freaked out and pulled over! Time to lube the cable.

The lube needs to be inside the sheath and especially where-ever there is a turn,kink,or lowspot.You can try, as a previous poster said, to pull the inner cable down and out the bottom and lube it that way. And it often works.If the racket comes back, I would disconnect the top and dribble some machine oil in there. I know guys frown on oil in there, but sometimes a guys gotta go with what is known to work. The oil tends to migrate out through the sheath where ever it may be cracked. And it collects dust there. The oil will work its way down to the low spot, where the water also collects/rusts. Its worked for me in tough cases.

Graphite on the cluster gears? down the cable?

What I did was unplug the cable from the dash cluster...cleaned the gunk off with a couple of Q tips...then put the graphite directly on the plug into dash cluster turn thingy...worked for me...M

X 2 on powered graphite down cable. In cold climates grease can harden increasing the torque needed to run through the speedo cable.

Unhook both ends and pull the center cable. Wipe of the slime. Spray in some cleaner that will remove the oil and sticky goo that is in the housing letting gravity move it through the entire length. Go to a local locksmith and get some Lock-ese Graphited Lock Fluid. Most of the liquid carrier evaporates and leaves the graphite to lube the cable housing. Stick the cable back in and reassemble.
I used to always keep a bottle of Lock-ese in the body shop for pesky speedometers back in the day. It actually works well on the door locks too, just don't over apply or you will withdraw black keys, leading to black hands and black pockets!

-
Back