SS rear susp. 4in. lift new TIRE OPTIONS!

-

BIG-B-Barracuda

Reaction score
Hello all,

i have a 1968 Plymouth barracuda Notch. 440BB
i recently did my rear suspension over to the Super stock leaf springs and drag shocks.
cant say i like the stiffness or the 4 inch lift. i was hoping for more like 2 inches maybe 2.5 at the most.
not sure what the lift was before i am not at all saying my new susp. is causing a 4 inch lift compared to the old susp. i am just saying that as of now. i have a 4 inch. gap between my tire and quarter.

But i am hoping that new rear tires will remedy this, i currently have the ralley wheels 14-(front) 215/70/14 14x7 big bolt pattern disc 15-(rear) 245/60/15 15x8 big bolt pattern drums. i was thinking of getting rid of these wheels and getting the Torque's super stock wheels... but i really like these Ralleys.....
i dont want a tire too wide where it sticks out the rear quarter..

i have the 8 3/4 rear w. posi.

opinions suggestions....

anyways i was hoping maybe a 255/70/15 will hide this huge lift on my rear a bit/....

i wanted to ask for suggestions on tire sizes that might help that. or maybe cheap ways of fixing this... i do dont want to have to return all these parts or have to go through doing the whole removal again/

thanks. pictures coming soon. :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::banghead:

4 inches over a saggy rear end? Maybe the lift just seems more cause the rear was worn before.

4 inches over a saggy rear end? Maybe the lift just seems more cause the rear was worn before.

so your saying that before it was just worn and lowered more than normal . so this new susp. is normal. liftage? no sure what it was before but as of now. there is a 4 in gap between my upper tire and quarter and i think its too much for my current wheel tire set up any how. . .

more details:D.

You guys are funny, I'm laughing by myself at work thinking about that as a movie title! I'm not saying the new height is normal because the ss springs will raise the rear. Most likely around 2 inches over a normal ride height. Just put 15" wheels in the back, that's what I did to my dart.

I have a couple points for you to think about.

1. Did you re-adjust the front suspension height?

If you raise the rear, sometimes the front goes lower. You may want to see if you can raise the front end a little by cranking up on the torsion bars. Raising the front a bit, will also lower the rear some....

2. The new springs will settle in a bit with wear. I would consider if you do put larger tires in, keep enough clearance for the springs to sag a bit over time.

l have run super stock springs on my Barracudas for years and loved them.

I have a couple points for you to think about.

1. Did you re-adjust the front suspension height?

If you raise the rear, sometimes the front goes lower. You may want to see if you can raise the front end a little by cranking up on the torsion bars. Raising the front a bit, will also lower the rear some....

2. The new springs will settle in a bit with wear. I would consider if you do put larger tires in, keep enough clearance for the springs to sag a bit over time.

l have run super stock springs on my Barracudas for years and loved them.

:burnout: i am rebuilding my front end at the moment. but i will keep that in mind about the front end ride height.

i currently have 15's in the back. i was thinking a 70 over a 60 would be better what tire sizes do you use in the rear? i currently have 245/60/15 i was thinking a taller tire might help hide that gap a bit. :sign12:

What kind of shackles are on the car? Hole-to-hole distance? You should be using the stock ones now.

Bigger diameter tires are only going to make it even higher, but also slow you down!

What kind of shackles are on the car? Hole-to-hole distance? You should be using the stock ones now.

Bigger diameter tires are only going to make it even higher, but also slow you down!

stock shackles...
looking into a set or rear tires at least 255/70/15

Also while the car is on the ground with weight on it loosen the front and rear spring eye bolts and jounce the suspension. If they were tightened while the car was in the air it could be binding the bushings and holding the car higher than normal.

Also while the car is on the ground with weight on it loosen the front and rear spring eye bolts and jounce the suspension. If they were tightened while the car was in the air it could be binding the bushings and holding the car higher than normal.

ahhhh.... smart... thanks ill look into that tonihgt. :cheers:

X2 on this, very important

ah, okay i spent a little more time (brain power) on this and figured out what you guys meant by flipping the front spring mount. ill try that too in ^^^ this doesnt work.

thanks.

Lower it!
DSC_0666.jpg

I loosened the eye bolts on each end of springs and gave it a few jounce and its didn't help.
I even went for a short drive to help it jounce... No help... Might try to turn the mount upside down. If it doesnt look better once I get my taller tires. 245/60/15 replacing with 245/70/15

are the U bolts torqued to spec or just hammered down with impact tools?

if they are not torqued to spec it will ride harsh, make booming noises etc

-
Back