2785lbs
Auto 727
Foot brake
500ish hp
9" 4:30s
10.5 w mt slicks
Runs 10-50 @ 125
Reasonably consistent 1.45 60 ft
Always looking to pick up a hundredth here and there. Right now ss springs are factory clamped center of rear segments and one factory clamp center of front segment left and two factory clamps center and front leaf of right front segment.
If I want to experiment with this setup would I replace the factory front clamps or leave them and add clamps to all leaf tips and Unclamp the rears ?

Given the data do I want to mess with it at all or are the 60' times as well as can be expected. Once in a while the car will turn a 1.43 so I think there's more in there
Thanks

Clamps on the rear segment can be used to change the spring rate somewhat. More clamps make it stiffer. Less softer. If your car hooks well less clamps may slow you down as the suspension works harder. More clamps may be quicker as the suspension moves less,uses less energy.

Clamp on the front half to limit wind up.

leave the front clamps. removing them from the rear will let the spring move faster causing body separation. only remove one at a time on each side to see if your hotrod likes it.

Ditto, leave the front clamps on.
Remove the rear clamps. Do one rear clamp on each side. Start at the rear most clamp.
This allows the springs leafs to separate.
The front additional clamps later.

Ok hopefully going this weekend. I think there is only one clamp on each side for the rear segments. Should there be more? Maybe the prior owner already went down this path? Will report back , thanks for the help.

If you want to hit the tires harder you can add a couple degrees more pinion down angle. Raising the front spring eyes will hit em harder also.

Clamp the front half of the spring solid, on the rear side I used to run clamps with a 1" or so air gap. this let the spring hit the tire a little harder at the beginning but still control the spring after the initial hit. Hopefully you have some kind adjustable shocks, (they're worth their weight in gold, when it comes to dialing in rear suspensions) .
Later on I changed to a ladder bar and coil over suspension, it made the car more consistent but it never did run quicker then it did with SS springs.

I have been playing with my SS springs and trying things to improve my 60 foot. If you can have someone stand back and get pics of your suspension when you launch its worth it. A member here got me these pics and it shows the spread in the rear segment of my springs.

Doug

Attachments

• Picture%20167%20(Medium)%20(2).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 227
  • Picture%20168%20(Medium)%20(2).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 238
nice pic's!, nice example. That rear segment is separating good!!!

I have been playing with my SS springs and trying things to improve my 60 foot. If you can have someone stand back and get pics of your suspension when you launch its worth it. A member here got me these pics and it shows the spread in the rear segment of my springs.

Doug

Thanks for the info. Hoping to go to lv this weekend

This is something that i posted in another thread that is beneficial in this thread as well.

If you have two leafs below the main leaf, in front of the axle, clamp them both.
Take a real good look at the front segment. If there is ANY SIGN! That the main leaf is flat or bending in the opposite direction, Clamp it there as well!
They can be made out of mild steel but need to be 1/4" thick X 1-5/8" X 4-3/8". bolt hole spacing aprox 3-1/8". 1/2" fine thread bolts,2-1/2" long. (grade 5 is good enough). This is spec i got off of a old MMP clamps, that i will us to build new one for my car! After i get a few other thing done on my car.

-
Back