ss springs

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
Do I need some kind of spring eye extensions to use ss springs on a 65 barracuda? Are the ss springs shorter in length than the regular stock springs? I got a line on a used set of the ss springs and need to know if I need additional parts to install them. My car has an 8 3/4 rear end in it, but the springs are weak. The only thing holding the car in the air is the air shocks.

A body SS springs Do not require longer front spring hangers. The through bolt size in the front eye bushing may be larger than stock and you may have to drill your hanger to 5/8'' for the larger style bushing.

A body SS springs Do not require longer front spring hangers. The through bolt size in the front eye bushing may be larger than stock and you may have to drill your hanger to 5/8'' for the larger style bushing.

So I couldn't reuse my existing bolts to hang the springs? The guy I am getting them from isn't going to have the bolts.

Just check the existing bolts for wear, bends and cracks.

Check the rear shackle bolts for the same thing.

Check the pinion angle UNSPRUNG
I think it's 2 1/2 degrees SOMEBODY CHECK MY MATH

Then, just bolt in the SS springs and drop the hammer!

Attachments

• Tin 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 429
The bolts on an A body are 1/2 inch and the front hole on the springs require 5/8 inch bolts. Not sure about the Cuda but you may already have the 5/8 inch bolts. If not Mancini Racing has them for 8 bucks.

"Then, just bolt in the SS springs and drop the hammer! "
I like it......
I am picking them up tomorrow..
The guy asked me."what are you putting these on?" I told him a 65 barracuda..He said
"I probably have a bunch of parts from one of those sitting around"
So maybe..I will score on some parts as well as the springs. Not sure of all that he has, but I will be checking them out.

Thanks for the replies from everybody!

remember ss springs are 2 diff part numbers one for right and one for left side not sure of the number but just do a search on here. i had a guy try to sell me some sss that were not sss so be carefull

remember ss springs are 2 diff part numbers one for right and one for left side not sure of the number but just do a search on here. i had a guy try to sell me some sss that were not sss so be carefull

P4120863 A-body 2800# right
P4120864 A-body 2800# left

P3412002 A-body 3000-3200# right
P3412003 A-body 3000-3200# left

I know where yer at Jimmy, I once purchased a pair of left handers.

Don't worry if your Cuda is a bit over the 2800# thing. I have a set on a 3100# F-body and they work fine.

Some are stamped, Some have # painted on, should be on the smallest leaf by the center bolt

So these are the 2 springs I got...
P3412002 A-body 3000-3200# right
P3412003 A-body 3000-3200# left

The bushings are cracking due to age..We guestimated at least 15 years old. They were only on a duster for the 1st 5, then they have been in storage.
Is there anything special as far as size goes that I need to order specific bushings? I see several bushings on jegs website..Don't want poly bushings..
Any part numbers you guys know to get the correct bushings for both front and rear spring mounts?

Check your car and see if the front bolts are 1/2" or 5/8". If they are the 1/2" bolts and you can put a bushing in there with the 1/2" hole you wont have to drill out your shackles.

The front eye bolts are just grade 8 bolts. Just go to the hardware store for them if you need them. Make sure to buy new all steel lock nuts too!

I put a set of the 2,800 springs on my 65 Dart. Not sure what size the front bolts were, but they were the right ones for the springs. Just bolted right in. I took the opportunity to ad the Hemi beef up plates on the back on the hangers, and some new shackles with poly bushings. Really worked out well!

I'm running the 002 & 003 springs on mine. I moved my springs in board so I don't remember the bolt size on them compared to the old ones sorry.

Well my plans got screwed...The 003 spring turned out to be broken..DANGIT...
My bolts will fit so no worries there, but now I either need to find another used 003 spring or get a new one. Of course I didn't see the crack until I got them home and started cleaning them..Seller basically told me they were as is and he didn't know that it was broken. Cracks in the main spring radiating out from the axle centering pin...can something like this be fixed..
Can I run a used spring on 1 side of the car and a new one on the other?
grrrrrr....
I TRY TO SAVE MONEY BY BUYING USED STUFF AND END UP BUYING CRAP...

Attachments

• 2012-07-29 12.19.30.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 2012-07-29 12.08.52.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 2012-07-29 12.07.18.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 310
Man that sucks.

You have my kind of luck! If I were you I would not run a new spring with a used one. Just asking for problems. And if one is cracked the other is probably not far behind.

There is a place in Cincy called Dentin Spring (I think), they may be able to replace the broken leaf. But then one side will be stiffer than the other.

Let me do some checking, as I am close to you (just east of cincy on the KY side of the river) and I have a friend that just did a suspension change on his scamp. He may still have the used SS springs off of it.

Man that sucks.

You have my kind of luck! If I were you I would not run a new spring with a used one. Just asking for problems. And if one is cracked the other is probably not far behind.

There is a place in Cincy called Dentin Spring (I think), they may be able to replace the broken leaf. But then one side will be stiffer than the other.

Let me do some checking, as I am close to you (just east of cincy on the KY side of the river) and I have a friend that just did a suspension change on his scamp. He may still have the used SS springs off of it.

That would be great....just let me know. I would like to do the springs before the nats..

Just talked to my friend,
And unfortunately the springs are already gone. I was hoping he would still have them.

That would be great....just let me know. I would like to do the springs before the nats..

What about the idea of taking the main spring off of my old spring pack and replacing the broken main spring on the ss spring pack with that? Are the ss main springs arched different? They look the same to me.

I wouldn't,
It may be arched the same but I bet it would have a deferent spring rate. You are in a pickle.
I bought a new set from Mancini, with the correct shocks, as longer shocks are needed with the springs. Man what a deference. My car really hooks up. Can barely spin the tires now.

-
Back