SS springs

-

mopar4

Reaction score
I have a 67 dart 273 hipo with a 7.25 sbp rear end can I use ss springs or is there a special spring for the 7.25, thanks in advance for your help

Yeah but that sure is a mega amount of overkill.

My crystal ball tells me....... Within a month, 2 new threads will be created.

1. Why does my car sit higher on the right side after a SS spring install.
2. My car sits high in the back after a SS spring install, how do I lower it.

This will be followed by suggestions of replacing the SS springs with XHD springs.

This will be followed by suggestions of replacing the SS springs with XHD springs.

Don't forget the "Why did my 7 1/4 rear blow up after I added SS springs?" thread.

Not busting your chops man. This is the right place for good information. Those springs will make your car hook and if you have some good tires your rear might not last. The springs don't really care what rear you have, 7 1/4, 8 3/4 or a DANA. Check your pinion angle after you install the springs. Need 3 to 4 nose down with an auto and 5 to 7 with a manual. If you don't have enough you will destory your driveshaft.

I was just trying to raise the back up to get the stance of the car to look better i didn't want to go with air shocks ( I don't think I have the room anyway ) is there a better spring for my needs?

The A body XHD springs.

I was just trying to raise the back up to get the stance of the car to look better i didn't want to go with air shocks ( I don't think I have the room anyway ) is there a better spring for my needs?

I had the 7.25 in my '69 Dart, but wanted the 8.75 for my hot rod slant 6. I went with the xhd springs and coil over shocks for tire clearance, which was way over kill ! Felt every pebble in the road. Took the coil over shocks off and went with Regular gas shocks. Waiting to get my car back to give final opinion. Then decided to replace my wife's Air shocks (didn't like the ride and need to add air periodically) with my Overload springs. WOW what a difference !!! Adjusted the torsion bars up a couple of turns and man what a different ride !! Most comfortable driving to Ga this past weekend !!

Questions between the SS and XHD springs for a 1973 Dart Sport.
1) whichs ones are stiffer?
2) which ones make the car sit higher?
3) when you talk of pinion angle you mean degrees below horizontal. Correct?

I just bought this car and it had the SS springs on it but I thought they were shot because it sat s o lows in the back so I ordered and installed the XHD springs. When I changed the springs I found that the front spring mounts were flipped. So there is probably nothing wrong with my SS springs.
Which ones are recommended and why? I have a 8-3/4" diff & don't know what it's from.
Sorry, don't mean to hijack.

I found my XHD Springs on EBay !! I purchased them for the firmness as I wanted a bit wider tire,and there's not a lot of room on the Darts !!

Questions between the SS and XHD springs for a 1973 Dart Sport.
1) whichs ones are stiffer?
2) which ones make the car sit higher?
3) when you talk of pinion angle you mean degrees below horizontal. Correct?

I just bought this car and it had the SS springs on it but I thought they were shot because it sat s o lows in the back so I ordered and installed the XHD springs. When I changed the springs I found that the front spring mounts were flipped. So there is probably nothing wrong with my SS springs.
Which ones are recommended and why? I have a 8-3/4" diff & don't know what it's from.
Sorry, don't mean to hijack.

1. SS springs are stiffer.
2. SS springs make the car sit higher.
3. I will let the others take car of that, they will give a more informative answer.

Which and why:

Which: SS springs if you go to the track and drag race, competitively, all the time.

Why: Because SS springs are Drag racing springs, that's what they were designed for.

Which: XHD for everyday and/or a street/part-time strip, car.

XHD springs are advertised as a stock replacement for the original heavy duty springs that came on performance models (or cars ordered with heavy duty suspension). XHD springs can be ordered for extra lift. +1", +2" for example.

Why: They provide better handling and a better ride while still being a solid spring for Drag racing in a hot street car.

yeeeessss

1. SS springs are stiffer.
2. SS springs make the car sit higher.
3. I will let the others take car of that, they will give a more informative answer.

Which and why:

Which: SS springs if you go to the track and drag race, competitively, all the time.

Why: Because SS springs are Drag racing springs, that's what they were designed for.

Which: XHD for everyday and/or a street/part-time strip, car.

XHD springs are advertised as a stock replacement for the original heavy duty springs that came on performance models (or cars ordered with heavy duty suspension). XHD springs can be ordered for extra lift. +1", +2" for example.

Why: They provide better handling and a better ride while still being a solid spring for Drag racing in a hot street car.

Who sells XHD springs? Are they a replacement from a resto shop, a mopar performance part? Who makes them and who sells them?

I must be in the minority here lol.. I just put SS springs on my Dart a month ago, and couldnt believe I waited this long to do the upgrade.. I love the way she sits, the ride feels great, no basketball effect.. I love them... The only issue I noticed is that now that I have springs designed to create better traction (getting the car to stick) I cant do a burnout as well LOL (a stock 360 with just an Edelbrock intake and Holley 650 DP, and headers being the only mods) ... But I already have another motor lined up to fix that problem.. lol..

My Darts just a cruiser.. Not a strip car.. I wanted her to have a bit of rake without having to pump the air shocks up to some crazy level.. Again.. I love them

Who sells XHD springs? Are they a replacement from a resto shop, a mopar performance part? Who makes them and who sells them?

Mopar Performance sells them along with other vendors like mentioned by RustyRatRod, http://www.manciniracing.com/

I have the ones from Mopar Performance, ordered from the local Dodge dealer but this may not be the best way to go.

I must be in the minority here lol.. I just put SS springs on my Dart a month ago, and couldnt believe I waited this long to do the upgrade.. I love the way she sits, the ride feels great, no basketball effect.. I love them... The only issue I noticed is that now that I have springs designed to create better traction (getting the car to stick) I cant do a burnout as well LOL (a stock 360 with just an Edelbrock intake and Holley 650 DP, and headers being the only mods) ... But I already have another motor lined up to fix that problem.. lol..

My Darts just a cruiser.. Not a strip car.. I wanted her to have a bit of rake without having to pump the air shocks up to some crazy level.. Again.. I love them
I love my Super Stocks as well. I used two passenger side springs so my car don't sit crooked. Best $250 I have ever spent on the car.

just make sure you order the correct springs for the weight of your car , there are multiple weights of each style , the dipshyte who did my resto put the abody springs for a 2600-2800lb car on my 3400 lb barracuda , 2 years later they were sagged outso I put new SS springs in the correct weight and the voila she hits the tires real hard now yeehaw

I love my Super Stocks as well. I used two passenger side springs so my car don't sit crooked. Best $250 I have ever spent on the car.

I really dont notice a major lean from one side to the other.. I mean there is a slight differance but its not crazy or anything..

just make sure you order the correct springs for the weight of your car , there are multiple weights of each style , the dipshyte who did my resto put the abody springs for a 2600-2800lb car on my 3400 lb barracuda , 2 years later they were sagged outso I put new SS springs in the correct weight and the voila she hits the tires real hard now yeehaw

I went with the 2800 pd springs for my Dart.. So far so good

I really dont notice a major lean from one side to the other.. I mean there is a slight differance but its not crazy or anything.
I imagine you cant notice it in the car, but just the subtle difference in stance would bug the piss out of me everytime I see it.

Im so anal about stuff like that, it bugs me when I notice the front track of our cars is wider than the rear. Lol!

the most noticeable thing about the difference in stance I find is that since I have enough power to need the stiffer torque side spring the car can give a little squiggle when the spring unloads after launch when backing off while street driving .
SpeedracereX you might not notice much for a while if you bought the softer springs for the lighter cars , mine where okay for a couple of years until I upped the power and then they went soft pretty quick on me , I think a pinion snubber might extend their life by limiting wrap but would still always recommend buying the proper springs for the weight of your car and I've never seen a second gen Abody that weighed 2800lbs in street trim .

-
Back