SSBC Conversion

-

no1newb

Reaction score
i posted a post about the willow wood disk brake conversion a little while back, now i found this and was wondering if anyone has used this, and if i would need to change wheels or if any other changes would need to be made. im still new and am looking for a easy disk brake conversion for a decent price. and if it makes a difference, i have a after market brake booster.

Brakes looking at

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3148A0A0A2467377.aspx

my booster

http://www.performanceonline.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=19530&cat=0&page=

I have the SSBC drum to disc conversion kit, great kit,easy install,good stopping power, and best of all,dual bolt pattern, small and big !

From the looks of it, that kit uses the stock drum spindles with the small ball joints, and it costs about $1,150 bucks...

What I did was: I gave Bill Reilly a call: 570-443-7440 or check out his web site..http://www.reillymotorsports.com/

I ordered everything I needed from him for a disc brake kit just last week.

-ordered his tubular upper A-arms with newer style(73-up) ball joints included
-ordered the disc brake spindles and a factory 11" iron disc brake kit from him
-ordered the light weight master cylinder front disc/rear drum kit

all this was was a total of about $1,070. which is cheaper than the ssbc kit you mention above, has tubular upper A-arms with newer ball joints, and new disc brake spindles with the newer style (larger) ball joints...

IMHO, i think this is the way to go....

Reilly Motorsports has some great stuff! You can't go wrong with any of Bill's stuff --- top quality and a Mopar guy to boot!

Also, if you do not have the $$$, another way to go is to get the '73-'76 Abody LBP disc setup off a salvage donor, or you can check on Moparts for Andy Finkelstein who can hook you up for all the conversion parts.

The advantage to the '73-'76 factory parts is just that: factory parts that are available from any NAPA, Advance, or Rock Auto, for CHEAP!

Good luck with the project and post up what you end up with!
Happy Thanksgiving!

as a side note, on the upper ball joints, the larger ones (newer style) are about 1/2 the price as the smaller ones....

One thing about the SSBC kit that I got is it had a MC, adjustable prop valve new brake lines from the master to you supplied prop valve.
A very complete kit.

I have also bought stuff from Bill Rielly and say that all parts were correct and at a good price. The nice thing about the SSBC kit is it has the 4 and 4.5 on them.

14 inch Ralleys fit over the SSBC kit

The pic is an early build pic of the Demons SSBC brake kit.

Disc.jpg

Used the kit on my 66 valiant. super easy kit. you must have the 10" drum spindles for the conversion kit to work BTW. 9" in drum spindle won't work.

thanks everyone, it may be a while before i A. get enough money saved, and B. have good enough weather to do it.

will keep up to date though. thanks

Isn't the SSBC kit the Mustang KH brakes mounted on the stock Mopar drum spindle? And possibly a fabricated caliper bracket?
The reason I ask is I have the stock Mopar KH brakes and replacement parts are tough to locate. If I can use this kit with my stock spindles it would make life much easier.
Does anyone know if this is possible?

So if you have a 9" drum spindle no kit would work? You'd have to buy a used 10" drum spindle?

Wilwood makes a kit for the 9" drum cars. it has the 4.5 and 4.75 pattern on them. It is probably better to get the 10" spindles though, someone on her said the 10" spindles are 30% beefier.

I got 10" spindles from a wrecked 69 valiant, had to take them off myself but $20 for both.

I just put the wilwood set on my Duster and it was a breeze. I'm using a 4" offset wheel but looks like 3.5 or maybe even 3" would work fine to. 685 from Summit. It's complete minus brake lines. No master cylinder, spindle nuts or prop valve included either.

Wilwood 001.jpg

mine looks like the one on the left, but i dont know if thats how they looked and at the time and i need to measure or what.

-
Back