Stacey Davids Gearz. H pipe verses X pipe

-
Hooked up the missing plug wire! :)

This is like one of my favorite jokes...

What's 80 year old pussy taste like? Depends.

This all depends on what you are dealing with, Peak you may not see any difference. There are cars that run better in the 1/4 with an X than an H or none at all. It's impossible to make a blanket statement regarding exhaust and have it apply to all situations. You find one exception, suddenly the premise is no longer valid.
best answer so far...being a fabricator by trade ive built a few exhausts and even my own mufflers.i can tell you this,on my setup a cross over helps low end vs no crossover at all.i dont have a dyno to verify what i think,but top end W.O.T. felt about the same on all the systems.the H pipe seems to have a flatter torque cure and the x seems to have more mid range torque and be a little quieter.but id be willing to bet if i changed cams to something with a narrower lsa then my current "best" system may not be "best" any more.i think it really depends on the setup.like putting a mandrel bent 3" x pipe with race bullets on a stock 273 or a 400hp 360.youll see better results with one than the other.

..a friend just put in 7 "X" pipes and got his up to an additional 42 hp (7 x 6hp),easily surpassing the 41 hp the H produced!

I am going to add more H's to my system. I was thinking of starting at 1 5/8 and go up to 3 1/2 inch in 1/8 increments. This should cover all the power curves. With a system like this I shouldn't need any other power adders.

The guys on Truck-U probably sell this system. But I will make my own to save some money.

Aluminum H's would will be used for a weight saving. They will be tig welded to the steel pipes using our special alloy wire.

I will also connect all H's with H's to equalize the equalization. It should sound like a roaring church organ and run like the devil when completed

Outstandinger than hell. I do like the sound of big pipe organs.

You 'll want to be careful with a setup like that. You could have over-scavenging which may suck the intake valves open causing a run-away.

I am going to add more H's to my system. I was thinking of starting at 1 5/8 and go up to 3 1/2 inch in 1/8 increments. This should cover all the power curves. With a system like this I shouldn't need any other power adders.

The guys on Truck-U probably sell this system. But I will make my own to save some money.

Aluminum H's would will be used for a weight saving. They will be tig welded to the steel pipes using our special alloy wire.

I will also connect all H's with H's to equalize the equalization. It should sound like a roaring church organ and run like the devil when completed

Outstandinger than hell. I do like the sound of big pipe organs.

You 'll want to be careful with a setup like that. You could have over-scavenging which may suck the intake valves open causing a run-away.

Do to lack of space under the car . I will be running the fuel line through the interior. I will be able to divert the fuel using the H system and an assortment of ball valves to shut her down.

A-B-E-F, bodies, D Dart, C pillar, K member, X pipe, H pipe, J heads, C-G-H-P-M codes,Z bar, and many other letters are used in auto motive engineering.

As you all see without Kindergarten we would not be able to make many of the mods to our cars that is needed to get the performance gains we are looking for. So stay in school. drop outs are for exhaust diversions after the H as seen in the pic above.

Good luck with your performance add on's. If you run into Problems. My advise would be return to the root of the problem and recite the alphabet. Steve

Or you could run both just to make sure your covered.

| |
H
X
| |

Here is an interesting article on X & Y pipes.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...ust_system_and_header_components/viewall.html

I haven't tried an H-pipe and in all honesty, I don't intend to. I was very happy with between .05 - .10 ET gain with an X-pipe and Dynomax UltraFlos over open TTI headers with collectors. This is after running open headers for a couple of years with records, then switching and removing 60+ lbs from elsewhere in the car to compensate for the extra exhaust weight. I believe I also jetted down a step or two. The X-pipe helped and I'm sure the mufflers didn't hurt. I just can't imagine how an H-pipe could be better when an X does the same thing, plus aids scavenging. Either way, it would likely affect the optimum jetting needed and possibly the accelerator pump circuit. That's where it can get tricky with comparisons.

As I read it H vs X no difference in performance.
Maybe in sound/exhaust note.
Still would like to see a dyno pull that confirms,
till then I believe no difference in power.
Sounds like a ploy to sell something new......again.
Why not 1 bigger pipe out the back to keep it all moving
and quiet.

i still havent seen a prostock car with an X or H-pipe, thats enough information for me.

i still havent seen a prostock car with an X or H-pipe, thats enough information for me.

I am under the impression that an X or H will help with bottom end and/or midrange, and if the help scavenging, then it would benefit "limited" engines more than high rpm "unlimited".

I am under the impression that an X or H will help with bottom end and/or midrange, and if the help scavenging, then it would benefit "limited" engines more than high rpm "unlimited".

i cant argue that it works for you:thumleft:, a car running stock is much harder limited than most anything else out there:banghead:
but for most anything else i will standby my thoughts regarding crossovers

haven't see too many with full exhaust systems, either, but that might be kinda hard to sell to the State Patrol

-
Back