stainless bolts

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
looking to use stainless bolts on my intake and the magnum brackets.. is there any issue with using them and what hardness should i get. i was thinking of getting them mcmasters or my local body shop.

Arp makes a kit for everything on the engine in stainless, I recently ordered theirs just in the 12pt black

I used a lot of ARP bolts on my 416. But I'll warn you, you will end up spending a fortune.

Well you can just buy the bolts for the intake. I know they are pricy but atleast you know your getting excellent quality

I don't know how much you can see but I used ARP every where.

IMG_2859.JPG

Not sure, have seen some stainless kits on ebay that use Alan heads and regular bolts, not sure on quality.

Another option is to measure the sizes you need and shop at Lowe's, Home Depot and Boat supply stores.

yes, mcmaster carr is a great source. there shipping dept is great too. just make sure to get 316 stainless, they also offer 18-8. it is mildy magnetic so it has the potential to tarnish

hey, couple more things pal. Get "thick" washers and get them with the smallest od possible. normal stainless washers are so thin they bend when you torque them on an intake especially, because the holes are so big. Also a big od makes everything look sloppy. 2cnts

thanks dana for the tip on the washers.. woudl 304 ss bolts work if i cant find 316
and your saying standard steel washers correct?

thanks dana for the tip on the washers.. woudl 304 ss bolts work if i cant find 316
and your saying standard steel washers correct?
yes on 304 stainless, no, on the mild steel washers. They offer nice stainless ones they're either listed under "thick" or "mil spec".

The company" name is "Totally Stainless". They have both high strength and standard strength stainless fasteners . Wonderful people to work with . My Scamp has them and I like the look .

stainless is pretty weak when compares to carbon steel. Sure looks nice if you give each head about 20 seconds on the rouge wheel though. ButI believe there is no exterior bolt (sans balancer bolt) on a motor that cannot step down in strength to use stainless. I bought 'em by the lb at local swap meet/car show. come with a list and a ruler...and a scale.

Just a heads up, I got this kit (https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/gar-56330-hsp) as I was building up a short block. Nice looking fasteners, but intake bolts are too short for an Eddy air gap intake. I ended up using the Eddy bolt kit for the intake because you need the small 12pt heads on the bolts to clear the intake runners.

any idea of the arp part number needed for the intake bolts?

-
Back