stalled for the first time

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Went for a rip last night with Cindy was cool and the dart loved it and me,until sitting at a light i could feel it wanting to stall but did not.Soon after came to another stop bam STALLED:wack: had to pump the throttle a few times wile trying to restart acked like she was out of fuel,firer ed up and drove another 5 miles with no problem.there was no smell of it being flooded.So me stump why it did this,any thoughts were to start looking,fuel pump has 2500 miles on it.Going out now that it is light out to see If any thing was loose.Thanks.

Fuel pump or filter plugging.
Possibly sucking air through a rubber line, but that would usually be accompanied by a fuel leak.

Thanks Trailbeast,no leaks good start the filter I will replace that befor the next ride.If it had been light out or if I had a flash light{ going to have one on hand now} I would of just pop the breather lid and look down the holley and have a look see.

Treat the first occurance as an anomoly,, if it continues,, persue it.. jmo..

Fuel delivery, either pump, or filter problems,, are most likely to occur on hi demand,,

- when coming to a stop, after running fine,, it's prob safe to assume ( I hate that word) that the float bowl will have enough fuel to run for quite a few seconds, without stalling, - if it does stall, it' more likely excess fuel .. or..

dirty jet in the carburator or a bad fuel filter. carburators should be taken apart from time to time and checked for dirt in the float bowls IMO

Its fuel or spark what else,now thinking, I did adjust the mixtures screws with my vacuum gauge to get the highest reading like we all know, the last time it was out and put away, For me anyway I find in the summer it has to be adjusted to lean it out some,then in the cool mouths say late September to the second week of November it has to be adjusted to rich en it up.Almost every engine i ever played with had that issue.

dirty jet in the carburator or a bad fuel filter. carburators should be taken apart from time to time and checked for dirt in the float bowls IMO

Your right the Holley rebuild is 3 years old first Singh of trouble to date.its a 600 i do have a 750 ready to pop on but been dragging my heals lol.

I had nothing but hassles with my Holey / Demon carbs, sure they ran good for awhile but like you said, it needs adjustments now and then.

Then I had needle / seat stick, did that a few times, like every 2 - 3 months, I replaced the needle and seat but did it again. No biggie, just take it out and give it a shake and re install - really fun thou as traffic is making their way past your car and guys are yelling to get the gas hog POS out of the way, ha ha

My dual Carters have yet to crap out on me, sure the metering rods need a tad richer in cold temps but that is it. I sold all my Holley / Demon stuff years ago, no regrets

I have a demon carb. On my 340 and when i first installed it, it would stall at redlights or stop streets. Downloaded the directions and found out there is a adjustment for the other bowl on the carb. It has a sight glass and you should see the fuel half way up the sight glass. Don't no if your carb. Has this option but it what was wrong with mine. Good luck!

Good point but it was like 10 Celsius out and my coolant temp was 170 think still anything possible.as said it seamed like she was getting no fuel.

The needle may have stuck closed, maybe yours freed itself after the engine stop and you went to start it ?

My guess its the alcohol in the fuel, a little MMO in each tank of fule might help but that does lower the octan

If it does it again, DO NOT START IT. Look to see how much fuel is in the bowl by moving the accelerator pump arm, if only 2 - 3 squirts come out, the bowl is dry and you confirmed its a fuel delivery problem

Bingo that is the plan and this time i will have a flash light,i also said to Cindy on the way home maybe the bowl went dry.Sure wish it did this in day light i would of dune just as you said,I know its no biggie but good thing I don't live in heavy traffic.I admit I get pissed at slow drivers as it is.

Could be a fuel pump issue as well or it could be in the ignition/ there is always traffic out where I drive. Breakdowns while stop must stink the most, least if the engine quits while the car is moving you can coast for a bit and pull off the road someplace safe

That darn needle - seat stuck twice on me one summer and I did replace the needle - seat the first time it did it. Now I used holleys for 20 years and that was a first and the next year it didn't do it at all

Maybe it was a good thing, got me motivated to take on a dual quad set up and ditch the holley

you didn,t get any of that corn gas? i got a tank of that **** last month and the car ran like **** ,every lite it stalled pump the gas to refire , i ran that tank out ,filled it with some good high test fuel runs mint again

My guess is junk gas. I'm not sure how your dino-sauce is in the great white north but It seams like I'm pulling my Holleys apart every spring. I found rust inside my float bowls before. It's bad enough getting water in your gas but hard water?

Look everything over again went for a good rip ran like a champ.I did adjust the mixture screws on the Holley the right one needed to be rich en up some idle went up,so that could of been why it stalled.thanks for all the replyes we will see from here on in.PS i love my car lol.

-
Back