Stalling

-

71 scamp 318

Reaction score
Engine starts with much accelerator pumping and needs occasional pumping during warm-up.Idles OK, then. Stalls when placed in gear (automatic). Itis a 318 with a new/rebuilt 2bbl carb.Could it be timing, vacuum? New cap,rotor,plugs. When I bought this car, it was running a high-rise manifold with a 4bbl. I couldn't get a decent idle so I returned it to a stock set-up. Oh, yeah; it's a 71 Scamp. Thanks for any suggestions.

First off welcome. Second is from my experience with mopars is that they are cold blooded as all hell, especially with stock carbs. Maybe that's just me, but I learned to drive an automatic mopar with two feet till it was warmed up fully. Mostly it just takes time to get all of the adjustments set correctly and once you learn it's special little tics you'll understand. Remember it's carbed not fuel injected, they were intended to be warmed up before driving, as it's better for the motor in the long run.

You ned to set the choke pull off and adjust it. Not a big deal. A factory manual will tell you how.

-
Back