Standard battery gell and dry cell can they be mixed

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
Ok guys can you mix and match batteries. .my son has been competing in music for sometime now a ND just won first place last week in the 4000 to 5000 watt competition. ..he has installed a hight voltage alternator already battery in the stock location and 3 more in the trunk.
..but he needs a little more to keep voltage drop to a minimum. .he's thinking of trying a different type but we get mixed answers on if the batteries can be mixed or not..anybody ever did any testing of batteries or know of any write ups on this..he has a big competition this weekend and trying to get ready...we Google it but get different reviews. .thanks ..

Generally "no" Different types batteries have different "float" voltages, but "worse" generally you should not even mix old and new batteries of same type. EG if you have a parallel setup they should be bought as close as together as possible

I don't pay any attention to this sort of thing but these guys would be WAY better off to get "out of" 12V entirely. Just to pull something "out of the air," maybe 10 of them in series........which is ............120V LOL

Or use an inverter.

You might want to mention to him that RV people use 2 or 4- 6 volt deep cycle batteries connected for 12 volts because they last 4 times longer that a 12 (or even two 12's)

I could run the entire motorhome for the whole weekend (TV, stereo with an inverter) and everything else like fridge and lighting for an entire weekend without ever firing the generator with 2 6 volt golf cart style deep cycles when 2- 12 volt deep cycles were getting low after one day and night.

Look into it in some RV forums (but the average was four times longer and higher amp draw with multiple 6's.)

I agree, generally "no", but as I work With pleasure boats, I see them mixed all the time, and it usually Works.

main problem is that gel batteries "like" higher charging voltage than Liquid.

most important thing is to wire batteries correctly when using multiple batteries.

There are specialized DC--DC boost converters. They often take a wide range of input voltage and are able to regulate the output to the desired voltage. They draw some additional current, but are typically energy efficient. At a small scale, they are built into most battery powered devices, portable computing devices including phones. The size you need is greater than 5KW, that is large and likely expensive.

It's not so much as about type, but capacity. Have you thought about getting a bigger battery. A size 8D might be just what the doctor ordered. Cranking Amps: 1750
Cold Cranking Amps: 1400
Reserve Capacity @ -25F: 450.00min
See here: http://www.interstatebatteries.com/Products/RT/PID-8D-MHD(Commercial).aspx?dsNavigation=Ns~product+Type%7C101%7C1%7C%2CNrc~id-3%2CN~4294784989-4294784419&Title=Battery+replacement++for+various+8DMHD+models

Yeah he has 3 in the trunk now ..and needs at least 1 more for the coming show this weekend. ..this radio stuff just drains them so fast ...the entire career body and Windows move from the bass...his friend is number 1 in the world with his truck ...seen the break the glass seen a young lady sit it 1 and mess her panties up ..not by using the bathroom on herself either ..lol use your imagination lol...but the car looks like it's flaming when the bass drops

-
Back