start up went good but

-

slowdown

Reaction score
So I just finished the cam break in and the first start up of my rebuilt engine. Everything went good, no leaks no funny noises from what I could tell over the engine idled up. Which is where the problem is. The engine fired right up but screamed, I had to jump out and work the choke to get it to idle between 2500 3000 1500 for about a half an hr. I had a timing light hooked up to it but couldn't get it to stay where I wanted it but it wasn't jumping around so it's 32 degrees at 2500 It was kinda hard keeping it at the rpms for the cam break in and holding a timing light and trying to turn the distributor all at once. I torqued the intake and used all new gaskets for everything could this be a vacuum leak? all new hoses as well.
The carbs a 680 quick fuel vacuum secondary electric choke, could my choke be stuck? The carb hasn't seen many miles at all. I had an old car back in the 80's that would scream when u first started it up but idled down after it warmed up a bit. I have to get the timing set but with it wanting to wind up I need to figure out whats up before I start it again. I'm letting it cool down a bit and I'm going in the garage to drain the oil and look around a bit.

First ,Congratulations on a good break in. Have you run this carb,personal before? Check the linkage on the fast idle cam,for sticking/binding. What intake manifold,a Performer ? Performers need a thick gasket/thin steel plate adapter ,to seal a Holley flanged carb properly. That could be a cause,for a vacuum leak.Take a spray bottle of water,spray it on the baseplate area running. If idle speed drops,vacuum leak.

Should be idle screw on driver side of car to adjust RPM. Should be two one for choke on and one for throttle linkage.

I have used this carb, it was on the car last fall before I took the engine apart. I put it in a plastic bag and put it on the shelf till I got around to finishing the engine. The carb was fine other than it was pig rich, but since then I changed jets and adjusted the floats and regulator and did run the carb on the car before I tore the engine all apart after losing a lobe on the cam. It idled fine last time it was on the car.
I did get the thick manifold gaskets from edlebrock for the intake I have. It's a edlebrock air gap. I am not a carb guy so I'm hoping this thing fixes itself. lol.. Everything on the carb seems to be moving freely. I am working alone on this thing man another set of hands would be nice so when I fire it up a guy can hold the throttle plate down a little to keep it from screaming till I can snoop around for leaks and such. I did use all new gaskets for the carb as well, and I do believe the carb is based on the holly platform. I have the idle screw adjust out and I don't see the other screw. Theres only one screw on the drivers side of the carb. It's a electric choke with one of those choke housing things on the passenger side with a hot wire and a ground going from the choke housing to the carb.

I have used this carb, it was on the car last fall before I took the engine apart. I put it in a plastic bag and put it on the shelf till I got around to finishing the engine. The carb was fine other than it was pig rich, but since then I changed jets and adjusted the floats and regulator and did run the carb on the car before I tore the engine all apart after losing a lobe on the cam. It idled fine last time it was on the car.
I did get the thick manifold gaskets from edlebrock for the intake I have. It's a edlebrock air gap. I am not a carb guy so I'm hoping this thing fixes itself. lol.. Everything on the carb seems to be moving freely. I am working alone on this thing man another set of hands would be nice so when I fire it up a guy can hold the throttle plate down a little to keep it from screaming till I can snoop around for leaks and such. I did use all new gaskets for the carb as well, and I do believe the carb is based on the holly platform. I have the idle screw adjust out and I don't see the other screw. Theres only one screw on the drivers side of the carb. It's a electric choke with one of those choke housing things on the passenger side with a hot wire and a ground going from the choke housing to the carb.

I hate the "alone" break in gig,look to loosen the choke 'stat housing. Hopefully, they are still marked "rich " to "lean" . If it lists"rich" ,do that for now. ( Better yet,a Carb without a choke temporarily).

I hate the "alone" break in gig,look to loosen the choke 'stat housing. Hopefully, they are still marked "rich " to "lean" . If it lists"rich" ,do that for now. ( Better yet,a Carb without a choke temporarily).
Thanks I will try tonight when I get off work.

-
Back