Started collecting parts for freshen time

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a few guys interested in my Mega block and assembly so I jumped the gun and called Molnar to see what is available to freshen my R3 422. 4 inches cranks are out of stock and will be for the first quarter of 2022. They had two sets of Chevy sized 6.125 rods so I went ahead and ordered them. I’m still leaning on using the same solid lifter cam and EDM lifters if all checks out. I may hit the heads a little harder to see if I can get this engine in the 5’s more often but that’s probably all the harder I will push it. Kinda silly upgrading to a roller cam for what, maybe 1-1.5 tenths at the most.

I am taking a 4 inch crank rods and pistons out of my R3/ resto block. The rotating assembly is is fresh standard never run. H beams with Diamond pistons. also mopar tall solid rollers lifters. Going with a super lightweight crank ,aluminum rods and, Ross 13-1 pistons and offset lifters. Taking offers for the rotating assembly. Balanced within 2 grams.

I am taking a 4 inch crank rods and pistons out of my R3/ resto block. The rotating assembly is is fresh standard never run. H beams with Diamond pistons. also mopar tall solid rollers lifters. Going with a super lightweight crank ,aluminum rods and, Ross 13-1 pistons and offset lifters. Taking offers for the rotating assembly. Balanced within 2 grams.

What kind of rods and crank.

I'll ask my son tomorrow. I believe the crank is a scat. the rods are H beam. Here are pics of when it was freshened. It has not been fired. We are going injected higher comp. light weight.

The cam, valve's, lifters, and springs are also being upgraded. The car will no longer be street driven

DSCN0185.JPG

DSCN0087.JPG

DSCN0088.JPG

DSCN0103.JPG

DSCN0186.JPG

DSCN0193.JPG

Called early this week about rods and got them late yesterday or very early today. Nice dealing with a good company
5360A90E-3E12-4A50-9924-EB775066253C.jpeg
E1C5ED2D-B18B-46E1-93D4-6AE1DB7DCC38.jpeg

Called early this week about rods and got them late yesterday or very early today. Nice dealing with a good company View attachment 1715837697View attachment 1715837698
They are nice stuff for sure.
I have one of there cranks and rods in use since 2018 and very happy with them.My machinist has nothing but good things to say about them.
I actually have a set of small block rods on order standard size that should be shipped by the end of month.

They are nice stuff for sure.
I have one of there cranks and rods in use since 2018 and very happy with them.My machinist has nothing but good things to say about them.
I actually have a set of small block rods on order standard size that should be shipped by the end of month.

They did have Mopar journal 4 inch stroker cranks in stock but I have everything switched over to Chevy size. I did pick up a 4.500 stoke Calias crank Mopar sized for 500.00 because the price was to good to pass up. The fact I have pistons that are cut for B1 heads and 440-1 Indy heads on rods sitting here made it a win win. The one in my 572 was cut down to Chevy size four years ago.

Molnar seems to be coming up a lot lately with many happy customers. If I ever locate my own R3 I will need to keep these folks on the short list.

They did have Mopar journal 4 inch stroker cranks in stock but I have everything switched over to Chevy size. I did pick up a 4.500 stoke Calias crank Mopar sized for 500.00 because the price was to good to pass up. The fact I have pistons that are cut for B1 heads and 440-1 Indy heads on rods sitting here made it a win win. The one in my 572 was cut down to Chevy size four years ago.
Nice score on the crank.

Molnar seems to be coming up a lot lately with many happy customers. If I ever locate my own R3 I will need to keep these folks on the short list.

yep, seem to be a good choice.
That said the Scat forged stuff seems to be really nice as well.
Its all Chinese stuff.
I doubt if 99% of guys would notice anything that would favor one or the other regards endurance.
My machinist liked my Scat H beams and the crank..he just didnt like the 50 year old type ring pack on the pistons( ICON).
Wish i had at least an 043 type deal…even that's old

yep, seem to be a good choice.
That said the Scat forged stuff seems to be really nice as well.
Its all Chinese stuff.
I doubt if 99% of guys would notice anything that would favor one or the other regards endurance.
My machinist liked my Scat H beams and the crank..he just didnt like the 50 year old type ring pack on the pistons( ICON).
Wish i had at least an 043 type deal…even that's old
My current setup has a SCAT rotating assembly, but the crank is cast. I have no complaints, just want to make the next one stronger with no worries.

My current setup has a SCAT rotating assembly, but the crank is cast. I have no complaints, just want to make the next one stronger with no worries.

I bought a very nice 340 (.030 over) with Scat rods and Scat cast crank (416) all ready to build off a friend. He had built it with an Eagle cast crank and after hearing the nightmare stories tore it back apart and bought the Scat crank. The more I thought about it the more I worried about it. I just wasn’t comfortable knowing it would be running high 9’s, low 10’s so I sold it to a guy who drove down from New York.

I bought a very nice 340 (.030 over) with Scat rods and Scat cast crank (416) all ready to build off a friend. He had built it with an Eagle cast crank and after hearing the nightmare stories tore it back apart and bought the Scat crank. The more I thought about it the more I worried about it. I just wasn’t comfortable knowing it would be running high 9’s, low 10’s so I sold it to a guy who drove down from New York.
Supposedly the Scat cast crank is pretty strong, close to handling what a stock block can handle power wise. I’m just kind of an overbuild it kinda person, less surprises that way which is why I’ll do the next one with more reserve.

i wouldn't trust a cast stroker crank either, i broke one and drove over it, going 10.30’s at 3350. 400-500 laps on it.
I was talking about the Scat forged piece, like i have now. Its very nice. Also have Scat 4340 H beams. Very nice rods too.

i wouldn't trust a cast stroker crank either, i broke one and drove over it, going 10.30’s at 3350. 400-500 laps on it.
I was talking about the Scat forged piece, like i have now. Its very nice. Also have Scat 4340 H beams. Very nice rods too.

Their rods did look pretty nice. I would never use stock rods in anything as cheap as you can get scat rods.

What do you guys think about Trakers cranks. I have one in my 383 stroker small block. 3.685 stroke with stock 360 size mains and 2 inch rod journals to use a 6 inch chevy rod. Probably have about 150 passes on it, mostly 1/8th mile.

What do you guys think about Trakers cranks. I have one in my 383 stroker small block. 3.685 stroke with stock 360 size mains and 2 inch rod journals to use a 6 inch chevy rod. Probably have about 150 passes on it, mostly 1/8th mile.

I gotta admit I never heard of them. Even a Google search didn’t come up with anything for me. I thought maybe I spelled it wrong.

I gotta admit I never heard of them. Even a Google search didn’t come up with anything for me. I thought maybe I spelled it wrong.
Hmmmmmm...that's odd. That's what I was told it has by the person who built the engine. He told me that Trakers made crankshafts for Herb McCandless.

Hmmmmmm...that's odd. That's what I was told it has by the person who built the engine. He told me that Trakers made crankshafts for Herb McCandless.

I’m not saying you are wrong I’m just saying I never heard of them. The Google search showed some factory type replacement cranks or something. See if you can find a link or some info to share with us

I’m not saying you are wrong I’m just saying I never heard of them. The Google search showed some factory type replacement cranks or something. See if you can find a link or some info to share with us
I did a search as well and came up empty. I sent a message to the gentleman who put the engine together and am still waiting on a response. Very strange indeed.

Most all dranks and rods are forged at the same place. Companies buy the forgings and then do the machine work. Even the there are companies that machine several different name rods and just etch names in them. Its the QC that determines the quality of the parts you recieve. Eagle you may get 5 out of 12 that are good . Scat 10 out of 12 etc. All cranks and rods must be checked for accuracy, weight and balance.

Many new parts come through my sons shop. and we see good and bad from all manufacturers. Don't trust anyone but your own Eyes and micrometers. We just received an expensive ford BB stroker kit. The crank was close to 28 grams out of balance. Names on parts mean nothing. Its the man doing the machine work and there are many different machinists at the same company. Some are good and some are not.

-
Back