Starter Chock

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m sitting in my work truck and the guy walks up to his Nissan truck next to me. He bends down picks up a starter and puts it in the bed. Hops in, lets the truck roll, pops the clutch and off he goes. I’m kinda new at this but, I didn’t realize a starter was used that way. Learn something new everyday.

Way back in the late 70's early 80's I worked for a rather large parts store here in town. A then old guy comes in, lays this starter on the bench and says "I need you guys to send this somewhere for rebuild"

So I asked and it's out of one of the little old "round fender" Datsun pickups, he points out there and says "it's out in front" (parked in front of the store)

I says "How in heck do you start it?"

"Use the crank"

AND THEN I REALIZED why the old mini pickups like Courier, Datsun, etc all had the big long crank for the spare tire winch under the bed. It's because the earlier models could be cranked!!!! Some of the later ones had the radiator in the way, but the fitting was still in place on the engine crankshaft

On a side note some of the old Datsuns had a 4 speed---on the column!!

Last edited:
On a side note some of the old Datsuns had a 4 speed---on the column!!
My dad had a 1958 Hillman Minx with a 4 speed on the column. The only gear that was problematic was reverse. He and I were the only people we knew who could find it! Good times!!!

[/QUOTE]
Did you notice the puddles of rust (or dirt?) that fell from the front corners? (4:34 timestamp) :lol:

My dad had a 1958 Hillman Minx with a 4 speed on the column. The only gear that was problematic was reverse. He and I were the only people we knew who could find it! Good times!!!
I had a '60 convertible one...the shifting system operate with wire and pulley...I drag race city buses, if the bus was empty I loose everytime....the bus full of people I have a chance....one time I raced a ' Cuda Hemi but it's an another story....

Back in high school one of my pals had a sunbeam 4 door sedan with a 4 speed in the tree. Same thing reverse was a b.... Cool very little car.

Back in high school one of my pals had a sunbeam 4 door sedan with a 4 speed in the tree. Same thing reverse was a b.... Cool very little car.
My dad had a Sunbeam Rapier and I learned to drive on that car and took my road test as well. This isn't his car but it is the exact same colour. 4cyl twin NSU carbs and a 4 speed. Fun car and some good memories.
1959 Sunbeam Rapier. Exactly like dad's car. Learned to drive on it. fun car.jpg

My dad had a Sunbeam Rapier and I learned to drive on that car and took my road test as well. This isn't his car but it is the exact same colour. 4cyl twin NSU carbs and a 4 speed. Fun car and some good memories.
View attachment 1715752160
Ya the one Sam had was similar styling but more round like a VW fun car for teenage boys.

-
Back