Starter for Slant Six to 904

-
All Mopar starters are the same regardless of motor, including the newer style mini starters from Dakota pickups!! I would look into getting one of those, you can get them at the auto parts, or at most pick a part yards!!

All Mopar starters are the same regardless of motor

That is not correct. Interchange on RWD/4WD starters is most (not all) '62-'89 RWD Slant-6 and V8 passenger cars, many (not all) '62-'01 Dodge trucks and RWD/4WD vans with Slant-6, V8, or 3.9 V6, and '05-'08 Dodge Ram trucks with 5.7 V8 and manual transmission. Exclusions from the "many/most" groups include trucks and cars with 11" clutch, '62-'66 Canadian-built Slant-6 cars and trucks, and pre-'70 cars with 426 engines.

Trucks and vans newer than '02 (except the '05-'08 manual-trans 5.7 Rams) have no nose cone on the starter, so they don't work properly on older applications that require the nose cone.

'89 was the first year for the Nippondenso mini starter. In '94 that starter was redesigned and got even smaller. The '05-'08 manual 5.7 Rams use an even more compact starter, a totally different (non-Denso) design.

All Mopar starters are the same regardless of motor, including the newer style mini starters from Dakota pickups!! I would look into getting one of those, you can get them at the auto parts, or at most pick a part yards!!

I tried one of those mini-starters on my car and it didn't fit ('67 Dart, 225). Wouldn't line up...solenoid was on the inside and hit the block. Looked like it would fit an 8, but not a slant.

I remember back in the day there were 2 starters, but only one style would fit my 71 Duster/318. One had some "ears" that would hit the exhaust and it wouldn't line up. Both had the same part #, whenever I went to the parts store I'd have to look at it to make sure I got the one that fit.

That is not correct. Interchange on RWD/4WD starters is most (not all) '62-'89 RWD Slant-6 and V8 passenger cars, many (not all) '62-'01 Dodge trucks and RWD/4WD vans with Slant-6, V8, or 3.9 V6, and '05-'08 Dodge Ram trucks with 5.7 V8 and manual transmission. Exclusions from the "many/most" groups include trucks and cars with 11" clutch, '62-'66 Canadian-built Slant-6 cars and trucks, and pre-'70 cars with 426 engines.

Trucks and vans newer than '02 (except the '05-'08 manual-trans 5.7 Rams) have no nose cone on the starter, so they don't work properly on older applications that require the nose cone.

'89 was the first year for the Nippondenso mini starter. In '94 that starter was redesigned and got even smaller. The '05-'08 manual 5.7 Rams use an even more compact starter, a totally different (non-Denso) design.
Thanks for the accurate information ….Walt

FYI, I put a used started from a 92 Dakota 3.9 V-6 Automatic on my 65 slant six automatic Belvedere. It went from one engine, directly to the other.

I tried one of those mini-starters on my car and it didn't fit ('67 Dart, 225). Wouldn't line up...solenoid was on the inside and hit the block. Looked like it would fit an 8, but not a slant.

Odd cause I have one one my 68 /6 that I've also used on my 71 360.

I took one off my 340 to 400/451 AND it bolted to the slant, got it off a Dakota Magnum V6. Kicked all of them over very efficiently.

-
Back