Starter height

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
I want to buy a set of headers but I keep seeing they are for a high or low mount starter :scratch:. What is the difference-I have asked the sellers but they dont really give a very good answer. Should have come here first I know :thumbup:

What headers are you looking at and what car and motor are they going on?

I want to buy a set of headers but I keep seeing they are for a high or low mount starter :scratch:. What is the difference-I have asked the sellers but they dont really give a very good answer. Should have come here first I know :thumbup:

High starter: Starter mounted above the oil pan flange. Just about all cars. Might be some "fleet" cars with the v-8 727 trans with the low starter.

Low Starter: Starter mounted below the oil pan flange. Some trucks with the heavy duty 4 speed trans, or early V-8 727 auto with the adapter plate.

What year body style vehicle are you working with? Very little choice on headers in 66 down "A" bodies. Nothing for the 170 engine, without modifying the header.

www.slantsix.org for slant six related info.

I believe it is a /6 thing. I have seen /6 headers advertised that states it is a high mount or a low mount starter. I personally didn't think there was different starter mounting positions. But there must be because of the ads I see. Maybe 904 and 727 tranny /6's have a different mounting position between the two?

Chuck

We used to have a slant 6 and we had two different starters we used on it. One was like a typical Mopar starter with the reduction gear. The other was off of a 170 parts engine we had. It had a direct drive, no reduction gear housing. This would make the starter mount lower wouldn't it? I can see where it could make a difference with headers on a slant since it's right there in the engine compartment next to the exhaust manifold.

We used to have a slant 6 and we had two different starters we used on it. One was like a typical Mopar starter with the reduction gear. The other was off of a 170 parts engine we had. It had a direct drive, no reduction gear housing. This would make the starter mount lower wouldn't it? I can see where it could make a difference with headers on a slant since it's right there in the engine compartment next to the exhaust manifold.

The direct drive starter was used on (I think) 1960 and maybe 1961 cars, also I think some Canadian early Slants. It is the same high starter position as others. It does use a flywheel with a different number of teeth then the gear reduction starter.

I believe it is a /6 thing. I have seen /6 headers advertised that states it is a high mount or a low mount starter. I personally didn't think there was different starter mounting positions. But there must be because of the ads I see. Maybe 904 and 727 tranny /6's have a different mounting position between the two?

Chuck

See my previous post. It gives all the info. The slant six 904 and 727 tranny's have the same starter location. Early slant six trucks and "fleet" cars had a "heavy duty" trans option. This was a V-8 727 trans, and a factory "adapter" to mate the v-8 trans to the slant six engine. This had a low mount starter. This was prior to the introduction of a slant six 727.

Thanks for the help and info. Wasn't quiet sure. I am working with a 67 /6 auto with the floor shift. I'm sure it is the high starter just needed some clarification. Have fun. Dean

-
Back