starter issue?

-

Rob64DartGT

Reaction score
Since I got my car running it would not start intermittently. Turn the key and nothing. It has happened twice in the last month. Not sure how old the starter is and the car sat for at least a year before I got it. Each time it happened it started no problem the next day. Any ideas? Thinking just replace the starter. Also the car push started fine each time.

This is a stick shift? And a 64? How many "push on" terminals are on the starter relay?

6 or V8?

Does it make any noise? "buzz?" One or two clicks? Nothing?

These are easy to "jump" around the starter relay. Take a metal object, be certain (stick) it's in neutral or (auto) park or neutral, and jumper across the two large exposed terminals on the starter relay.

On a 6 the starter is easily jumpered directly, simply jumper across the two terminals on the starter.

It is a 273 v8 with a 4speed shifter. Have not been able to get under the car to look at the starter. It is still starting up fine. Thought there might be a neutral safety switch but it will start in gear. My truck did this but when it suddenly would not start it would not start again. I replaced the starter and no more issues. Just strange that my car comes and goes. Thanks in advance for suggestions. Oh and also it does not make any kind of noise when turning the key when it won't start.

OK. You should have a start relay with THREE total terminals........

The big stud is a battery junction and one contact

The "square" terminal is the other contact and feeds start power down to the solenoid

The "push on" is "start" voltage coming from the key through the bulkhead

The relay MUST be grounded

Next time it screws up, Don't jostle anything, get out with "anything metal" and jumper across the exposed relay terminals.

If this does not cause it to crank, it's either starter, battery cable, or the wire going from the "square" relay contact down to the solenoid

Most of us have forgone original starters and gone with "mini" starters ask for a 95-ish Dakota / RAM 5.2 or 5.9

For sure, if replacing it get a mini-starter from a 5.2/5.9 Magnum engine (Jeep Grand Cherokees too). A $10 junkyard one may be better than a $45 rebuilt one. When you manage to work the heavy factory starter out between the steering linkage (w/ steering in just the right place), you will appreciate one 1/2 the size and weight (and more powerful).

But, it doesn't sound like your starter is the issue. If the starter relay (on firewall) works, you usually hear a clunk in the starter (solenoid moving), even if the starter is failed/failing. The NSS should not allow the relay to engage except in P or N, and that is checked inside the tranny on the valve body's "rooster comb" so is 'always right'. The NSS wire might be getting grounded outside the tranny, or some fool bypassed it (good way to pin yourself against the garage wall).

Thank you so much it was the starter relay. Will do the mini starter when the old one goes bad. Your not kidding very tight.

-
Back