starter issues

-

stubble88

Reaction score
my starter (73 340 duster) sometimes just sounds like its just turning and not grabbing. Then I have to wait for it to stop before turning the key again or it will grind.
do I need a new starter?
thanks

Sounds like the bendix unit inside the starter is taking a dump. Its the unit inside that throws the gear out to engage the flywheel/flexplates teeth. New starter or if you got the skills rebuild yours. While you have it out though look at the ring gear teeth to make sure none of them are broken or missing.

Bendix gear stripped. Grinding means its moving to engaged psoition but not turning the engine means bad bendix. Its a antibacklash bearing of sorts that isn't supposed to turn in one direction. Difficult to explain. Some will replace a part of a starter like the bendix or firction washer whatever. I'll just replace to whole thing. Good luck

Replace fast, before you grind on the ring gear anymore, as you always grind in 3 places.

Our 74 duster does the same. Just did it. Its been going on for a while and we have a new mini started. Just talked about putting it in tomorrow. Dad couldnt start it after about 4 tries and I got in and got it to start my first try haha.

thanks
any advice on the best starter?
I can just get the autozone high torque one here in town.

Most parts house rebuilt ones are the same so just get one with a lifetime warranty. Also make sure they bench test it before you leave.

got the high torque from AZ
fires up quick like on the first stroke
problem solved
thanks

-
Back