Starter not engaging

-

J. Cower

Reaction score
Okay so back to the problem child... 71 SSP new 72 340 with original 904. Making a vibration noise that I was 95% sure was the flex plate rubbing that I posted about earlier. Just spent 7 hours changing the stock flexplate (which was rubbing) to a new B and M flexplate. Got her all back together and now the starter won't engage the gear. Starter works fine as I bench tested it. I did notice that the new flexplate moved the torque converter back some due to slight difference from stock one. So what now? Pull the tranny out and move ring gear or is there an aftermarket deeper starter you can buy?

I dont think it should have moved torque back.and from what you describe its like 1/2”. Thats a lot.
Engine mated to block correctly?
I know,not something i should ask but....

Got any pictures? Not being smart did you install the flex plate correctly? If it’s flipped it will push the converter back a significant amount. As stated that’s a big change in the dimension.

Yeah everything should be good. Started fine with old flexplate. "Engine side" is definitely engine side for install so not flipped

Can you post a picture so we all can see the flex plate from underneath. The new flex plate should have kept the converter in the same place. I have seen flex plates stamped engine side wrong brand new units.

B&M Flexplates 10230

This is the flexplate I used. Two sites said it would work with a 904 transmission and the holes to the inside do line up. It looks like the starter does not have enough room to go past to get to the gear on the torque converter..

Go to the B&M parent website, look for downloads and download the catalog (PDF) Looks to me like you have the wrong flexplate--------on the other hand it doesn't look like they show the "right" one Footnote 2, by the way, is "8 bolt crank"

bm.jpg

"A clue" is that they list TWO plates for a 360.....one with 904, the other with 727. both of them have bolt patterns for 10" converter...........

Last edited:
B&M 10230 is for 727 trans. I have used them in the past never seen them used on a 904.

B&M 10230
Fits: 6-Bolt, Mopar, 727, V8

Flexplate, Internal Engine Balance, 2-Piece Rear Main Seal, SFI 29.1, Each

Rear Main Seal Style: 2-piece

Engine Balance: Internal

Flexplate Material: Steel

Safety Rating: SFI 29.1

I had it so "engine side" was facing the engine. I took it all back apart and put original back on but ground the block a tiny bit where it was rubbing. Noise is fixed. On the B and M one you could see about a 1/16 inch in where the starter was hitting it.

-
Back