Starter Options

-

Sinister.

Reaction score
My starter is going out. It keeps jamming and is just being a royal pain. My question is, what should I use to replace it? I've heard of people using modern starters with no problem. Are any modifications to put a starter from a 98ish Dodge Ram/Dakota on my 318/727 combo with headers? How do they compare to regular old starters, or after market mini starters? What are the pros/cons? I want to go new or remanufactured just to avoid having to pull the headers or linkage more than I have to.

What do you think?

I pulled a mini starter(brand new used)from a Dakota at the wreckers for $40,works fine with room to spare.

The mini starters from Dakotas, full size trucks and vans are great, half the draw and twice the power. You may miss the Dodge starter "whine" sound though.

I've pulled a couple from the Pick-N-Pull and are only about $25, the vans and trucks take about 5 minutes to pull, the Dakota starters are much harder to remove. The last one I got from there didn't work, and on closer inspection was a rebuilt one. Stay away from the rebuilt and chinese knock offs.

The last one I got was from this ebay guy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0363192822&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It was $45 (free shipping) and it was an original "Chrysler Corp Denso" starter made in Japan. Works great. and the extra $20 I paid (over what I would pay at the junk yard) was worth my time to go there, pull a starter, and clean the inch of grime and grease off one I pulled myself, plus it is already tested.

Make sure you get one with the nose cone.

If you are not sure what I mean by "nose cone", here is a pic of a starter with the nose cone

StartNose.jpg

Well apparently the problem wasn't the starter, but the battery cable. Upon removing the starter I found that the cable was very crusty and gross. Hooked the starter up via jumper cables, works fine.

I think I'm just going to reuse the one I have, since it works, and just get a new cable.

-
Back