Starter Relay Question

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey All,

I couldn't get the starter wire off my relay. I ended up spinning the whole stud around (I thought it was moving) in the body of the relay. I don't know if I ruined it or not. And I can't really test it until I get the rest of the car back together.

I also swapped my 904 auto trans out for a manual 833 unit. Is there any reason not to buy a new manual transmission starter relay and install it? I was going to have to ground the neutral safety wire anyhow.

Whatever I do I don't want JUNK on my car. NAPA lists an Echlin relay for manual trans cars. Would that be a good option?

Thanks,

Chris E.

The relays perform the same it's just the clutch switch will now ground which ever relay you decide to go with. If you use it that is....
clutch-switch-jpg.1714945628

the early tranny's had no safety switch, so the early relays didn't have the ground spade on manual transmission cars...

You mean clutch safety? 70 was first year

Essentially, any car with a clutch safety uses the same (4 terminal) relay that automatics use. Older (69/ earlier) cars with no clutch safety had the "4th" terminal soldered to the case.

You mean clutch safety? 70 was first year

Essentially, any car with a clutch safety uses the same (4 terminal) relay that automatics use. Older (69/ earlier) cars with no clutch safety had the "4th" terminal soldered to the case.

Yeah that is what i meant.

Maybe I'll just get the auto trans unit and ground it myself. That way if i ever do put a clutch switch in i can hook it up. I would like to put a clutch safety switch in one day anyhow. My wife has never driven a stick car.............

Sorry to butt in, for a related question. Is there good source for a OEM looking starter relay. I had to destroy my old one to get wires off. Doesn't have to be nos but look like OEM.

To 3406pk: I also ruined my starter relay getting the wires off. I got a replacement at NAPA and as far as I can remember the attached mounting bracket and relay looked just the same. However, I think the original case was black whereas the replacement was dull silver. So you could paint it if you want.

I've never seen an original painted. They were sort of a "light gold" cad plated

I've got one car with fair original that was silvery color. I cleaned that up and painted with Rustoleum hammered silver color which matched pretty well. I robbed that for the resto car. Now I have to replace the robbed one. I'll check out the NAPA one. Thanks

I was mistaken about the black case. That was the "horn relay" I replaced about 2 months after the starter relay. If the original starter relay had a gold-cad plated finish (per 67dart273), that is good. Because the NAPA replacement is the same (I went out and looked). The point is that the NAPA relay is very similar to the original.

-
Back