Starter Relay Solenoid Question

-

Dart Sport 360

Wanna Race?
Reaction score
OK.... I ordered a new relay and didnt get back what I expected... Well actually I did expect Crappy Tire to get it wrong so.............

Question is how do I replace this....

IMG_00000070.jpg

With this....

IMG_00000069.jpg

The new one has more posts and now Letters to indicate what goes where...

Can I use this or should I just wait and get one that's the same...

Thanks
Darcy

Thats a Ford stater relay. Shame the parts guys don't have a clue.

They gave you the wrong part. (parts house morons)
That's a Ferd solinoid

OK.... I ordered a new relay and didnt get back what I expected... Well actually I did expect Crappy Tire to get it wrong so.............

Question is how do I replace this....

IMG_00000070.jpg

With this....

IMG_00000069.jpg

The new one has more posts and now Letters to indicate what goes where...

Can I use this or should I just wait and get one that's the same...

Thanks
Darcy

Autozone Part Number: CR607
$13.99 in my zipcode.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 373
I can picture it now.

Attachments

• blowbeer.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 372
Just curious. Is your ignition switch putting power to the Solenoid in the start position?? Not doubting your diagnosis just double checking.

LMAO! Nice PS job! I asked for a relay solenoid and had it in my hand. It was a different kid when I went back... he pulled up the picture of what I needed.. I don't know why this first kid didn't do that yesterday.

I got my money back. I'll go to Napa and get the right one tomorrow.

That's probably why you got the one he gave you.
It's actual name is (Starter relay solinoid) or just (Starter solinoid)

"I asked for a relay solenoid"
I got my money back. I'll go to Napa and get the right one tomorrow.

Well maybe but I had the other one with me. If the first guy had pulled up the picture like the second kid did then I would have seen it... Anyway its a crappy day today anyway so it wouldn't be going far.

The reason I start the thread was when I picked it up today and opened the box I said nope that's not it. He said oh its a universal one and that's what's listed.... Hence the broken nose.

and had it in my hand..

That's pretty bad. A word to the manager might be in order.

I usually start out with "Do you know what I used to do?

"whut?"

"I sold auto and truck parts for 15 years, and I was good at it."

"It's universal."

Actually You COULD HAVE MADE this work!!!!

HERE is what you would have to do!!!!!

1 Mount the uh................"universal"............ solenoid on an insulator so that the mounting flange was not grounded

2 Hook one big stud to the battery connection

3 Put a new connector on your solenoid wire and hook that to the second large stud

4 Hook the yellow wire to the "s" stud (small terminal)

5 Hook your brown neutral safety switch to the mounting flange, now insulated.

Would it look "like hell"?

(example of "looks like hell")

fashion-model.JPG

HELL YES

Would it "function"?

HELL YES

See, it was the right part, afterall!!! LOL

dnyh37.gif

I know what you mean, cause it's everywhere these days.
Guy has been there for two weeks and used to flip burgers, or whatever.
Some just don't give a damn either.
Kids these days think thier only obligation to get a paycheck is to show up, and not to actually do the job.
Both of my Son's work with people like that and it drives them nuts.

Well maybe but I had the other one with me. If the first guy had pulled up the picture like the second kid did then I would have seen it... Anyway its a crappy day today anyway so it wouldn't be going far.

The reason I start the thread was when I picked it up today and opened the box I said nope that's not it. He said oh its a universal one and that's what's listed.... Hence the broken nose.

Yep. I have been banned from Tire Kingdom, as insist on watching them align anything that I own, and tell the tech " that ain't gonna fly, or hunt" I want it to specs, not on the outer fringes of the specs. And our classics? Ihace to show them how to do it. So I was banned. For paying for, and asking for it to be done correctly.

The kids that they hire...supposedly with the certified license?........ And parts stores? Gawd.

I feel your pain.

There is no excuse for the parts guy not giving you what you wanted and making sure it was right. These universal solenoids are not Ford solenoids. A Ford solenoid grounds the relay through the mounting bracket. These solenoids have both ends of the coil terminated to external studs so you can control power and ground to the coil. I have used several of them on rewire jobs and they work great. It requires replacing all the terminal ends and is not worth doing on a stock car.

I know for a fact Crappy Tire pays minimum wage, so maybe squawk to corporate....if you think of it, guys at the parts counter make the same as someone at Tim Hortons. In my opinion you get what you pay for...so that is what Crappy tire corporate gets...
Sorry he didnt get it right

There is no excuse for the parts guy not giving you what you wanted and making sure it was right. These universal solenoids are not Ford solenoids. A Ford solenoid grounds the relay through the mounting bracket. These solenoids have both ends of the coil terminated to external studs so you can control power and ground to the coil. I have used several of them on rewire jobs and they work great. It requires replacing all the terminal ends and is not worth doing on a stock car.

You may be right, but without a part number no one knows. There are several wiring configurations for various solenoids. Another example is the older Fords with push-button start and lots of tractors. ON those, the push button was a grounding button, and the coil of the relay was internally connected to one battery stud.

It's obvious, this so called "parts guy" needs LOTS of education. If he'd pulled that on me, the manager, he, and I would have been having a loud, long, heated conversation.

This might seem like a minor mistake, but what if you drove 40 miles to get it? Took time off work? Or what if it was a part that MATTERS?

(Let's say he gave you an older "stick" relay, which has no place for the neutral safety switch?)

I'd go beat on the parts guy a bit if I were you. Just wondering why you're changing the relay to begin with. Is it bad or do you suspect it is?

Ok so I guess its not the relay.... oh well now i have a spare. Don't judge me... lol

So I got a tester and I have power on one of the small terminals when I turn the key but not the other. I assume I need power on both. As you can see my relay is mounted with the post at the top. I have power on the I terminal... no power on the G... The G has a brown wire on it. Is that the neutral safety switch? I also found a 3 pronged plug under the master cylinder that's disconnected... I have no idea how long that's been disconnected... I plugged it back in but still not different.

What should I check for next?

-
Back