Starter splash shield

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this. Apparently theres a steel splash shield on the LH framerail thats supposed to be for the starter motor. My 67 was a slant sux 3 on the tree car. Didnt have one. Not sure if it did at one time, and a prev owner took it off. Then i'm on evilbay and theres a kit by DMT for the fender splash shields one kit has all the seals, and a J shaped seal and states for cars with automatic transmission, and a kit without this J shaped seal and says for cars with manual transmission.

Anybody know what Chryslers intent was for this splash shield? I was thinking for the starter motor, but then again weather it was a stick shift or automatic car the starter would still be in about the same location. If it was for that, it would be listed for both auto and stick. Was it to protect the linkages from getting wet, and then freezing solid in cold weather? If so it wouldent be needed with floor shifted automatics.

Anybody know what it was supposed to be for? My 67 will be a floor shift 4 speed, my sons a floor shift automatic. If i dont need this part, i wont bother picking it up at the junky. If i do need it, i want to grab one before i cant find one at ny junky.

I don't know why a slant would need a splash shield...............

(No starter in the world is mounted that high, LOL)

Evilbay pic. If i need them, i can prob grab 2 of em at ny junky. Not sure if theres any more beyond that. Both cudas 67 and 69 are going to be V8 cars.

Screenshot_20181229-121050.png

Screenshot_20181229-121048.png

These are truly 'splash' shields, they are designed to do just that. You don't need them to drive the car. Should be no difference between 4-sp and auto. I can see where a 6cyl may not this one. There are three splash shields on my car. The one you are talking about is metal and has the "J" rubber and is to protect the starter. The other two are plastic, are pop-riveted on, are forward near the bumper brackets and are to protect the front of the engine. Only resto guys like me would be concerned about these pieces. Here is a picture of mine awaiting install.

100_2503.JPG

I have one or two of them if you want them. I will not need them for my 6.1

-
Back