Starting a web page

-

nothingbutdarts

Reaction score
Have any of you made a web page? What does it involve and what might the costs be?
I'm trying to help a friend get one started for her dogs.

Thank You!

Costs depends on how much you are going to put on it. Most of the time, your internet provider will give you a limited amount of space to post your site (as part of your package). If you want something basic, you can use a simple HTML editor such as Word to create the page. No reason to put a lot into it if you want something real simple.

My recommendation is to contact your local community college and see if they offer basic webpage design. They normally do a real good job teaching the basics.

www.wordpress.com is a blog site and the basic is free.

Takes seconds, costs nada

You can get a blog started in less time than it takes you to read this sentence. All you need is an email address. You’ll get your own WordPress.com address (like you.wordpress.com, you can switch to a custom address later if you’d like), a selection of great free and customizable designs for your blog (we call them themes), 3 gigabytes of file storage (that’s about 2,500 pictures!) and all the other great features listed here. You can blog as much as you want for free, your blog can be public to the world or private for just your friends, and our premium features are completely optional.

Ok i am have a free site and this is how you can simply set it up, this is totally free and it wont have a .com but a .tk address.
Go to 000Webhost.com for a web host of course, this is totally free and you have to make a account. Then once you have the account all set up go to dot.tk for the URL. And there you will put what you want the URL to be and then set up the account like followed.

Go to where it says "Use your new domain" and click on where it says Use DNS, then click on "Use own DNS" then go back to the 000 Webhost and open you "View Account Details" at the top of the main page. then it says this at the top
"Nameserver details (only if you host your own domain)"
Copy the series of numbers next to the "ns01.000webhost.com" and enter it at the top bar of the .TK DNS. And do the same for the second. And then go and copy the "ns01.000webhost.com" for each one and make sure it is as the same at 000 Webhost. Then pick 12 months for renewal and the the letter thing. And it should be set up. You can log out of .TK. And then if you have a site made go and have the person who made it set it up with the 000 Webhost. If not PM me and i can tell you how to set up your own. And if any questions on this PM.

There are a bazillion ways to approach it. The suggestions so far are valid examples. It really depends on what you want to accomplish with the site and how sophisticated it needs to be.

If you're a hands-on kind of person and don't mind spending a little money you can also buy software to help you create the site. Here's one of many that allow you to focus on the design and not the code: http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/index.html

You need a domain name and possibly a place to "host" site if you don't already have it. There are free options out there but they come with tradeoffs. GoDaddy has always worked for me for both domain names and hosting.

i started one in 2003 called A Bodies only then later changed it to Dart Doctor's ... now i let it Die ... hmmmm who was 1st lol

My wife and I run our website through www.weebly.com. It's pretty straightforward, and they offer online help in building your site. This is the click and drag method of website-building, so it should work pretty well for your friend. Good luck!

-
Back