Starting out to be a really bad winter

-

Big Dad

Reaction score
To start with, it's been unbelievably dry here for last at least 2 years, if not 3 (2019 was wet, flooding)
Never seen local rivers absolutely dry before, low yes but, never where there isn't a drop left in them. I think I mowed my lawn once last year , normal would be every 7-9 days

So, yes, we need moisture .. but, yeesh, have we been getting hit with snow , think we locally have had 30 some inches since 12-1-22 , normally we get like 50 for the year, got 16-18 last night and it's still snowing, letting up a bit however .

I don't know where I'm going to put all this stuff, running out of room to pile it up

To start with, it's been unbelievably dry here for last at least 2 years, if not 3 (2019 was wet, flooding)
Never seen local rivers absolutely dry before, low yes but, never where there isn't a drop left in them. I think I mowed my lawn once last year , normal would be every 7-9 days

So, yes, we need moisture .. but, yeesh, have we been getting hit with snow , think we locally have had 30 some inches since 12-1-22 , normally we get like 50 for the year, got 16-18 last night and it's still snowing, letting up a bit however .

I don't know where I'm going to put all this stuff, running out of room to pile it up
I hear you. Where I am, water flows down the street 200 days of the year but the last 2 summers we have been on water restrictions. This winter we got 14 inches of snow and stayed 2 weeks and usually we get a couple of inches and only stays for a few days. The times they are a changin'.

near me

plow.jpg

I made the mistake of driving to work today.
B7247D2B-DAF7-4B7E-A31C-01ECB1DA8BE6.png

92DB211C-A5A0-4F56-AA35-2328F99EC67C.jpeg

5BAE5766-6840-4794-8E6C-9243A28359E4.png

A05A6F00-295C-48B1-B564-BBD9E477C8AF.png

01A99A38-8C0F-4630-9314-D5CD8161FADE.jpeg

25EF5CF8-4E79-4E06-9BEF-1796A81D1622.png

Last edited:
The worst trip I remember, "me" driving was in about this same time of year, 1968. In late 67, I had received my draft notice, and had to go in for the physical and other hijinks. That was on a bus at gobt expense, and we stayed in an elegant old hotel in Spokane.

But this trip I'm referring to--I had signed up for the Navy, and had to drive it myself. I had a 60 Falcon, with the mighty 144 cid 80hp six, and the heater core regularly plugged with rust. Bear in mind I was young, and had flushed it numerous times.

The week before the big trip, some 80 miles, I had made sure it was filled with fuel, oil up, and flushed it out and let it set until the "big day."

Turns out the night before, I had lost the keys in my messy "ham radio" shack---and didn't find them until more than six years later after I got OUT of the Navy

I got outside about ? 4AM, no keys. Hot wired the thing and it turned out hot wiring the heater was easy, too. Off we go, 80 mi trip to Spokane, it was about 10 F, blowing snow, blizzard. I got across the bridge heading S to Spokane, and the heater plugged, all of about 4 miles. I had brought a sleeping bag and blankets "just in case," but it was still colder'n 'ell.

Likewise, the trip home, cold, ALL the way. Most miserable trip of my life. I would say in that weather and conditions, slick, icy, snowy, about 2 1/2 hours driving time.

At that time, the "height" of the Viet war, the Navy was offering a "120 day delay" program, so you got all tested, physical, and then reported 120 days later. That was somewhere around 26--28 May, 1968--0ff to RTC San Diego, my first ride on an aircraft

Makes me thankful for living next to a giant lake and not have have water restrictions.

We’re finally getting some well deserved rain, thankfully no flooding in my area.

I live where the wind hurts my face but the suner has the most beautiful sunsets and weather.

-
Back