Starting problem

-

larry408

Reaction score
I finally have the motoe back in my 73 Sport. I am not getting any fire through the coil wire. I have installed a new coil but it did not help. I was told that I need 9 volts across the + and - connectors on the coil. When I check with my ohm meter I am only getting 5.26 volts. When I jump the ballast resistor I am getting 7.75 volts. Do I need a new control box, ballast resistor or both?

Don't hate me for asking, but check your coil to distributor cable for continuity also the distributor rotor and cap first.

The motor was starting and running fine when I pulled it from a 74 Dart Custom. The Custom had some bad wires on it when I bought it so I think that the wirung is bad. I am thinking about ordering a complete wiring kit from Ron Francis. This way I will not have any other problems later.

you don't check volts across the + and - terminals. check the + with the key on and put the + lead on the + and the - lead to ground, not the - side of coil. if you put the volt meter on ohms, check + terminal of coil and coil tower terminal for a reading. if no reading at all, bad coil.

The ballast resistor will lower the voltage at the coil. Don't worry about it being "low". You need to make sure the ECU has power (and how much) and be sure the distributor pickup is working.

I ordered a complete wiring kit from Ron Francis yesterday. It will take care of my wiring problems now and in the future. The complete kit was $458.40 shipped.

-
Back