starting up 340 that's been sitting for a few years

-

wlecat

Reaction score
I can't get my 340 started after sitting a few years, the gas tank was dry an I refilled with fresh gas, it turns over well but won't ignite. The plugs & wires are new, cap and coil are old. Could the points be an issue? Should I just go electronic? Also will sitting so long become an issue with the valve springs?

Alot of the times when a points distributor sits for a long time, they get stuck. I had it happen a few times. I would switch to electronic ignition.

......................Verify u r getting gas to the carb and that the accelerater pump is pumping.......r ur plug wires on right........kim........

If your gas tank was bone dry, odds are, the fuel pump is done. Mine sat for less than six months and kicked the bucket on a 2yo pump. Drove into the shop 25mi from home, sat about 20 weeks while I did some stuff to it and had no fuel at the open carb line into a cup. Replaced the pump, took care of everything.

I would not start throwing parts at it. Do some investigating...I would try priming the engine 1st while turning the engine over by hand(spark plugs out). This will circulate the oil thru the engine.
Once you get er lubed up, crank engine over and verify points are opening/closing.
Chk plug wires to make sure they are hooked up properly.
Chk wires for spark
Verify you are getting fuel.
That's the order I would do it anyway...just my opinion.
Just because it doesn't start after sitting for years means you throw a elec ign at it.

Just because it doesn't start after sitting for years means you throw a elec ign at it.

If it had an electronic ignition in it and would not start after sitting would you toss a points distributor in it....

Electronic ignition is always a good call as a mod, unless you're talking about a high value car that is going for collector interests.

I still think I'd try and get it running with whatever it's got, though, before modifying anything, just in case you end up missing something in the wiring, you know it was something you did and not something time did.

That list, that 4spdragtop posted is a good route. I still think it's a bad pump or varnished lines. Ethanol is murder on factory type mechanical pumps if it sits. Confirming fuel will tell you.

If it had an electronic ignition in it and would not start after sitting would you toss a points distributor in it....

Nope, I would verify the problem and then go from there....could be the coil is shot....who knows.
My point is why spend $200-$300 on something that isn't a proven fix??
Verify the problem and then do the ignition upgrade if you want.

Electronic ignition is always a good call as a mod, unless you're talking about a high value car that is going for collector interests.

I still think I'd try and get it running with whatever it's got, though, before modifying anything, just in case you end up missing something in the wiring, you know it was something you did and not something time did.

That list, that 4spdragtop posted is a good route. I still think it's a bad pump or varnished lines. Ethanol is murder on factory type mechanical pumps if it sits. Confirming fuel will tell you.

I agree Dave, you can undo the suction side of the fool pump and "bump" the engine over. If you feel suction on yer finger then the pump "should" be good. If the tank was bone dry spray/pour a little fuel in the carb.
Also verify wires are on correct..1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 is firing order.
Chk coil for spark, take wire off cap, stick rubber handled screw driver in, make sure the steel part is also touching intake(providing ground path) so that you can see the spark.
Member here 67dart273 or Redfish are elec gurus, contact them if you suspect it is electrical...

Are you getting anything? Spitting, popping, anything that shows some fire? I'm from the points era, and yes, it should still run.

Many good ideas. It is a simple matter of elimination. Check to see if you are getting fuel. Easy enough, remove the fuel line from the carburetor, place the line into a jar or can or whatever, have someone crank the engine. If it is pumping, you will know, naturally if it doesn't pump, you need a new pump. Next, be sure the carburetor is actually squirting fuel, next, check spark, no spark check components. Not much to it!!

thanks everybody, all good suggestions.
I will check them all.

Nope, I would verify the problem and then go from there....could be the coil is shot....who knows.
My point is why spend $200-$300 on something that isn't a proven fix??
Verify the problem and then do the ignition upgrade if you want.

Steve, it was a rhetorical question...

You cam eliminate the fuel as a source
of the problem simply by pouring a small
amount of gas into the top of the carb.
If your engine starts for a second then
dies you know that there is spark and
your problem is fuel related if it doesn't start look at the electrical

I think it's both wires and the fuel pump, there is a little glass fuel filter between the pump & the carb and it's dry.

The fuel pump wasn't gone, maybe clogged though, thought it might be because the glass precarb filter had no fuel showing, but I gave the fuel pump a few hard taps with a wrench, pumped the pedal and cranked it and now there's fuel showing in the filter.
thought the brake master cylinder was gone too because the pedal went to the floor, but I was able to pump that up too. Still have to take all the drums off and check the linings and free the parking brake. Putting new wires on this weekend hope that does it.

try sanding the points too (at least). The 289 in my '66 Mustang had points, and I had to sand them a bit fairly regularly to keep it running tip-top.

btw, sitting for a few years shouldn't be a problem- my Scamp sat for over 4 years after I bought my Stealth- when I decided to get it going again I added some gas to the quarter tank or so that was in it, put a battery in it, and it fired right up. Ran fine, too- people will give horror stories about what happens if a vehicle sits for a while without running, but they're mostly bunk.

-
Back