Starts off starter but not key

-

MoparMagic1992

Reaction score
Hey guys, i bought a '72 Dart Swinger with a '73 slant six not to long ago, sat not running for 10 years after being flooded up to right below the valve cover apparently..........

....fast forward to this week and i checked everything over for water damage and it all looks surprisingly good. no water signs anywhere under the hood, popped a battery in and everything works, minus the ignition....

..which leads to my question, i got the slant to start(and run pretty damn good) by jumping the starter connections with a screw driver, if i try to crank with the key i get nothing, but the oil warning light does dim very slightly when i try to crank with the key...any ideas on what i need to fix????

-John

Hey guys, i bought a '72 Dart Swinger with a '73 slant six not to long ago, sat not running for 10 years after being flooded up to right below the valve cover apparently..........

....fast forward to this week and i checked everything over for water damage and it all looks surprisingly good. no water signs anywhere under the hood, popped a battery in and everything works, minus the ignition....

..which leads to my question, i got the slant to start(and run pretty damn good) by jumping the starter connections with a screw driver, if i try to crank with the key i get nothing, but the oil warning light does dim very slightly when i try to crank with the key...any ideas on what i need to fix????

-John

automatic? stick?

read this thread http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=205410

You may want to ground the ground terminal on the starter relay (it's the one with the yellow wire attached to it). If it starts using the key you have a neutral safety switch problem. It also could be a bad relay or it could be you are not getting positive voltage to the relay through the ignition switch circuit. You'll have to get your meter out to diagnose the problem.

No, the yellow is crank signal from the key Does this thing have the reset relay for the seat belts?

Big relay under the hood, looks like a horn relay except has a big red reset button....................

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14304

hm..................photo does not seem to want to load....................

-
Back