Static Oil Leak Checking

-

Rodzilla

Reaction score
I wanted to Dyno my motor, with about 50% of the reason being to check for leaks before installing in my freshly painted car. Now I'm feeling cheap, well at least my bank acct is.
So has anyone ever put oil in their pan then hung it off a hoist at an angle for a few hrs to see if anything can weep thru? Front and rear. I was thinking this might give some kind of indication if pan gaskets or rear seal is a leaker.
Anyone tryed this? Dumb idea?

Temperature, crankcase pressure, and no oil pump running.
It won't have any of these hanging there.

73AbodEE said:
i think the only thing you may discover is whether or not your drain plug leaks

You miss the part about where I will be tilting the motor so all the oil is up against front or rear? Drain plug will be the last place it will leak, won't be any oil in bottom of pan.
Was wondering if anyone has tried this?
My line of thought is like a water resistant watch, if you splash water on it, it will be fine. But if you hold it under water for any great length it will eventually by full of water.

There is some merit in your idea. I parked my truck on about a 30 degree incline for about 2 wks. years ago and found a puddle from the rear main that i never saw leak before. But it had about 40k on it at the time.
If your not confident that you got everything right you may want to inquire around and see if someone has a test stand you can rent or use. Should be way cheaper then dyno time.

Why don't you weld up a test run stand? It doesn't HAVE to be very elaborate. I recently fired an engine briefly hanging off my chassis hoist. Had the TF still on it, so wrapped a chain around the mount area of that, and the engine brackets. You don't HAVE to have a radiator, you can "rig" a garden hose into the lower hose, if nothing more than rags and duct tape.

I've got an old scattershield with engine rear plate, I've even thought about running it right on the engine stand, after building some removable gussets to intersect the front mounts and brace down to the stand base. You could MAKE a starter plate out of a small chuck of, what, 5/16 flat stock, or maybe even 1/4", use a flywheel. You can use what you have, a bell, or TF bell for a pattern.

For ignition, I made up this "emergency ignition." It's a GM hei, a coil, and clip leads plus the distributor connector. Hook up the coil wire, ground, 12V, and the dist. connector, and you have fire

I use this circuit

zu5qn8.jpg

and this is what it looks like

hwlcfa.jpg

The engine on the "test stand" before hookup I was just thinkin' as I worked, getting it in running condition. Fuel was an AFB siphoned out of a fuel jug hung from above

34nf6l0.jpg

Thanks guys. I never thought of a test stand. But that looks like more work building one then having to pull motor out of my engine bay without scratching. Thanks for putting in the time to explain your setup.
Only reason I even ask is I've always had the worst luck with leaky pans or rear seal. No matter how careful i am This time I'm hoping all is well, using methods i've come across in books or mentioned here to hopefully prevent the dreaded leak.

-
Back