stearing and crossmember help

-

moparisbest

Reaction score
ok this is what i have .complete front end v8 kmember disc brakes a arms and power stering box from a 74 valiant and im putting it in a 70 duster that was manul stering and would like to leave it that way so my question is do i pull the arm from the power stering box and put it on the manul box so that i use all the parts from the 74 except the arm

I dont think so. Look at the way the pitman arm and idler arm load to the center link , One load from the top sown and the other from the bottom up. Also try the same socket or measure both pitman arm nuts. If the nuts are different sizes the spline shafts are different.
If you retain the manual steering gear you will retain the same center link and idler arm.

ok now im lost

I'm sorry . I went back and tryed to correct the earlier responce. I probably shouldn't have tryed to reply with a granddaughyer yanking at my left elbow but no one else had responded.

The pitman arm on the power steering box will not fit the manual box, the splined shaft is larger on the power steering box.

If you are planning to use the steering linkage from the 74 car it will not connect to the pitman arm on the manual box becuase of the way they mount to the center link as mentioned by Redfish.

What you need to do is swap all the steering gear (steering box, pitman arm, idler arm, and center link) over from your 70 to the 74 k-member.

FWIW, dumping the manual steering and going to power steering was one of the best upgrades I have made to my 68 Barracuda. Completely changes the character of the car; takes it from being a slow responding boat to a quick and nimble handler not to mention no more parking lot thrashing.

You didn't mention it and maybe you already know this, but the steering columns between the power steering and manual steering set ups are different. One is definitely longer than the other, but can't remember off the top of my head which is which.

You didn't mention it and maybe you already know this, but the steering columns between the power steering and manual steering set ups are different. One is definitely longer than the other, but can't remember off the top of my head which is which.

Power steering columns are shorter due to the longer power steering box. manual steering columns are longer due to the shorter steering box..

The difference between manual and power steering columns is 3 inches. I like my small aftermarket steering wheel but I would not have it without first installing the power steering. To each his own though. It's all happy moparing

I all ready got the lower ball joints for the 74 and there defrent from the 70 so i guess its power stering for this one thanks for the info

I all ready got the lower ball joints for the 74 and there defrent from the 70 so i guess its power stering for this one thanks for the info

Lower ball joints are attached to either tierod end the same way so you still have a choise in steering. Only the center link and pitman arms and ideler arms are different. Ok sure the lower ball joints aredifferent for the different spindles but.... Hang in there , once you get hands on, you'll see what works and what dont.

The only difference with the lower ball joints is the size of the holes the spindle bolts two. The 74 uses a larger diameter bolt to attach the spindle to the ball joint.

The tie rods ends from either year will attach to either ball joint and be in the same place.

ok this is what im thanking now take the manul stering box with pitman arm ,the idler arm , and draglink from the 70 and put them on the 74 k frame and the lower ball joints wont matter some one corect me if im wrong. because im thanking the tie rods should be the same

ok this is what im thanking now take the manul stering box with pitman arm ,the idler arm , and draglink from the 70 and put them on the 74 k frame and the lower ball joints wont matter some one corect me if im wrong. because im thanking the tie rods should be the same

Now you're catching on :)

-
Back