Steel or cast 340 crank?

-
Steel cranks have a distinctive ring when tapped with a hammer. Cast have a dull tone when tapped.

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
Now heres the real question;
How can you tell an oem forged 340,from an oem forged teener?

Answer; Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing vs Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
Only works when they are side by side, and with a stopwatch; heehee.

Or put 'em on a weighscales

attachment.php

The one on the right is forged.

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
Now heres the real question;
How can you tell an oem forged 340,from an oem forged teener?

Answer; Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing vs Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
Only works when they are side by side, and with a stopwatch; heehee.

Or put 'em on a weighscales

Or the different between a cast 340 crank and a cast 318 crank...

Yeah, that might be an even better question.But I've never seen an oem cast 340 crank.I have about 10 cranks here, and not one cast 340.

Well the problem with that is the crank in your engine may not be original, I had a very hard time trying to find a 340 crank in the 80's because everyone said they had one, but no one actually did because they were all 318 cranks. I spent a lot of money trying to balance the wrong crank before I realized that I was sold a 318 crank. when I called them on it they said there was no difference and that I had a 273, 318, 340 crank.

I actually had to sue them in small claims court to get my money back.

So if your engine was rebuild there is a chance you don't have the correct crank shaft in your 340.

-
Back