Steel Shim Gasket Question

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Is there an "up" and "down" to steel shim head gaskets? I other words, do the ridges need to be oriented a certain way (up/down)? Thanks!

Positive ridges go up towards the head.

It doesn't matter providing all the coolant holes are aligned. Be sure to use a cooper spray sealant.

Same here. I’ve placed them ridge up or down. Has worked for me either way. Most of the time the dowel pins will dictate how they go.

It matters which way it goes to somebody.......

0DDDEE2E-6249-45F8-A207-66508470E3CC.jpeg

The reason it is marked is because it could be installed either way.
The dowels on a BB Mopar symmetrical.

The typical BBM composition gasket doesn’t have any markings to denote which is the top or bottom is because they can go on either way.

Last edited:
It matters which way it goes to somebody.......

View attachment 1715711374

The reason it is marked is because it could be installed either way.
The dowels on a BB Mopar symmetrical.

The typical BBM composition gasket doesn’t have any markings to denote which is the top or bottom is because they can go on either way.

Interesting! That's got the ridge pointing down. The Mr. Gasket shim gaskets I just installed didn't have a "top" mark that I could see. I sprayed them with copper spray, so hopefully the seal.

Not all steel shim gaskets are marked, again it doesn't matter which way they are installed.
Head and block surfaces need to be flat and copper spray or silver paint on both sides.

-
Back