Steel shim head Gasket

-

C39

Reaction score
Anybody out there know where a factory style 225 slant six steel shim cylinder head gasket can be had?

Wierd there was one on my 1975 pickup when I took the motor apart. I still have it.
The factory installed gasket was the "shim" gasket. These gaskets have been NS1 for a few years, now. All the aftermarket head gaskets are the thicker type. When using an aftermarket gasket, you will lose a little compression. When replaceing a slant six head gasket, with an aftermarket gasket, it is desireable to mill the head, 10 to 20 thousands to put the compression back to factory.
If you do mill the head, you might as well mill some extra, to increase the compression, as the factory ratio numbers were optomistic (most slants will measure at less then 8 to 1), and the added compression, will add power, and increase fuel economy.

That was my point. Why bother to pull a perfectly good head just to mill it to increase compression, only to give back a huge chunk of the gain to a crappy modern gasket?

That was my point. Why bother to pull a perfectly good head just to mill it to increase compression, only to give back a huge chunk of the gain to a crappy modern gasket?

Actually, that is my point. If you are pulling the head to mill it, allow for the thicker aftermarket gasket ( which is available) and mill a little extra (usually doen't cost extra). The only reason to use the OEM shim gasket, would be to "freshen" up a stock engine, that does not need any machine work.

I have some "mule motors", that have no head milling or block decking, so I use the shim gasket. Any motor I build that needs decking or milling, gets the aftermarket gasket. We are only talking about approx 20 thousands difference here.

-
Back