Steele Rubber Rant.. I am PO'd big time

-
Here are some shots of the rear window pinchweld area on a 71 Swinger.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1260.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 207
So,... now I am curious.. has anyone else seen this stuff that Charger70 is showing? a sort of foam strip in the window channel of the Dart? I do remember seeing something like this when I was cleaning the pinch weld..but the previous owner had all kinds of silicone and goo in the window channel I couldnt really say what was what.. We can be the only ones that have popped the back glass out of a Dart.. Has anyone else had to use foam or anything else on the window channel of a Dart to get the rubber to fit?? This really has me baffled

and also.. if Ma Mopar did use this special kind of foam seal, why only on the rear glass?

From what I remember when my glass was removed all I had to do was take some lighter fluid all around my opening to remove some black gooey stuff no foam.I got my Front and rear rubbers from National Moparts here in Canada dont know were they got them from but my glass is tight and leak free.A freaking shame your going through this thatssss the stuff that makes me say I am not doing another car,my Cindy laughs tho.I have my org front and rear rubber but one makes me think from what I have read here that maybe should keep them.Must be a screw up well it is.Someone must have the right seal.Try Old Car Parts N W .com.The owner is Ray Orme Slany six Dan turned me one the him nice guy and says has lots of mopar parts P# 206 300-1083 maybe he has that seal.

From what I remember when my glass was removed all I had to do was take some lighter fluid all around my opening to remove some black gooey stuff no foam.I got my Front and rear rubbers from National Moparts here in Canada dont know were they got them from but my glass is tight and leak free.A freaking shame your going through this thatssss the stuff that makes me say I am not doing another car,my Cindy laughs tho.I have my org front and rear rubber but one makes me think from what I have read here that maybe should keep them.Must be a screw up well it is.Someone must have the right seal.Try Old Car Parts N W .com.The owner is Ray Orme Slany six Dan turned me one the him nice guy and says has lots of mopar parts P# 206 300-1083 maybe he has that seal.

Thanks Snake.. I appreciate the help.. I may have to give him a call here real soon..

just an update... Steele Rubber stands by their claim that the rubber I sent back measured up to 'factory specs' they have.. whatever, it clearly doesnt fit and I told them that.. so, they refunded my money... I heard that summit has them, and that the ones they sell are made my soffseal.. so I give that a try.. guess what.. NATIONAL BACKORDER GRRRRRRRR!! I cant stand this.. lol I am never gonna get this damn Dart finished.. I just cant believe that no one has this damn window rubber..

So,... now I am curious.. has anyone else seen this stuff that Charger70 is showing? a sort of foam strip in the window channel of the Dart? I do remember seeing something like this when I was cleaning the pinch weld..but the previous owner had all kinds of silicone and goo in the window channel I couldnt really say what was what.. We can be the only ones that have popped the back glass out of a Dart.. Has anyone else had to use foam or anything else on the window channel of a Dart to get the rubber to fit?? This really has me baffled

Yes I've seen it before, on a 75 Dart 4 door. I only saw it on rear glass. It was about a 1/4 inch wide as thick as a penny and was in my gasket channel. Destroyed during clean up. In tash and never looked back. It never gets included with seals. I had imagined at one point the factory using it as a peel and stick to hold glass in palce inside gasket, while being popped in with the rope.
I have only seen it once at the bottom same pos on front windshield.
I've done 5 front and rear glass Darts 64-75.
Never seen it go all the way around though. Have only seen on bottom mainly and sometimes on top on rear only.
Never have reused. Maybe I messed up, but I like driving them.
I now always hire a glass shop for a remove and replace (after cracking my last 75 front 4 door1 Amost impossible to find). $100.00 per glass and then they will come back after your bodywork and your gasket is clean either old or new and install at your convience at you place!.

I am going to need front and rear rubber for the 68 FB fish. Anybody have a story on these pieces or when / if we can ever expect to see them again?

If I'm reading your description of the problem correctly, it appears that the gap in the W/S was intended for a lock-strip as used on P/U trucks. I have seen some cars that used them, but never on an A-body.

I am going to need front and rear rubber for the 68 FB fish. Anybody have a story on these pieces or when / if we can ever expect to see them again?

nope... national backorder... rumors say, possibly late june or into july sometime they may become available again.. but these are estimates I have been hearing.. no one really has a clue when or if they will be available again..

If I'm reading your description of the problem correctly, it appears that the gap in the W/S was intended for a lock-strip as used on P/U trucks. I have seen some cars that used them, but never on an A-body.

no.. the lock strip would go around the outside of the rubber.. (where most reveal molding go... the gap that was too wide is the one that actually fits over the pinch weld in the window channel..

Can't hurt to check it out. I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the link

Just got off the phone with Classic Industries.. its a no-go there as well.. backordered, no estimated dates, blah blah blah....

Just my .02 cents on Steele Rubber, I needed a new rubber for the rear window on my 63Dart. NOOOBODY makes it, 63 is a 1 year only. After a little convincing, Steele made it, I sent them my original, they sent me a new one, Free! I will buy all my "rubbers" from them from now on.

Just my .02 cents on Steele Rubber, I needed a new rubber for the rear window on my 63Dart. NOOOBODY makes it, 63 is a 1 year only. After a little convincing, Steele made it, I sent them my original, they sent me a new one, Free! I will buy all my "rubbers" from them from now on.

I am truly happy they helped you out and your experience with them was a good one. I really am. I however would most likely let my car sit til it turned to dust before I dealt with them again. They were great to deal with until I called to tell them their rubber was wrong. Then they changed their tune. I'm glad they made things right by refunding my money, but couldn't resist the urge to tell me that the one I sent back measured up to their 'factory specs' but they would return my money anyways. I told them the window channel and pinch weld in my dart is the same as it was the day Ma Mopar put her together. I had no rot there and nothing was altered from the way it was built, and their rubber does not fit. When I asked where they got their specs, they wouldn't tell me. So.... It is what it is. Personally I'm past it, and I don't intend to bash Steele... Or anyone that's had good luck with them. I just won't deal with them again

Have you tried getting ahold of member rick@laysons? last i knew he had a few abody windshield gaskets and back glass gaskets....I refered a few members to him and he sold out of the front glass gaskets I believe but he may still have rear ones in stock!

I went through a bunch of crap getting my front gasket a little over a month ago and year one let me purchase it from them and after almost a month and still no part...I called them and THEN they told me it was on back order.

luckily I found a member who had a brand new one in the package he ended up not using that he sold shipped to my door all for $50.00!, I lucked out on that one lol

-
Back