steering assembly hitting new headers

-

skycuda67

Reaction score
So I just swapped a 360 into my 67 barracuda, running dougs headers, had to indent them to clear the outer steering tube, and now I'm having a problem with the lower steering assembly. It's a manual steering car and when I turn the wheel to the right the assembly is nice and tight and no flex, but when I turn to the left it all flexes and lifts up maybe 3/8 inch and then bumps my headers. Considering all the weight and that the car isnt moving it dosent seem surprising that the assembly would flex a bit when trying to turn. But does that sound like too much flex? Is there anyway I could lower the steering arm a little to give more clearance? I remember the steering being nice and tight when I was daily driving this thing so I'd rather not redo the joints unless I have too

Check to make sure your idler arm is tight. The new ones have plastic inside and the header melts em.

Yes, make sure you have 67 idler. They are one year only. Sometimes people put 68 ones on there in various "ways and methods".

One reason you could be hitting is because your motor sits too low, the quote above is from your other thread: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=291257

That's true, I raised the motor with a Jack to see about using spacers under the motor mounts and raising it made the tube by the outer steering tube come in a little more contact. What if I bolted everything up tight, then put a Jack under the flange at the bottom of the headers and massaged it up half an inch? Basically try and reshape the lower half

-
Back