Steering box ID? 79 W200

-

Stepper

Reaction score
Is there a way to determine by some outer marking or stamping number which steering box I have in my 79 W200?

I'm pretty sure the steering box is the cause of my sloppy steering. But before I can order the part, I need to know if it's a standard or reverse rotation and if it's a 25 or 32 spline input.

I was hoping to order it before I tore into it this weekend.

How do I know if mine is a standard or reverse rotation?
Is there a way to determine the input spline number without tearing it out first?

Thanks all.

Does the pitman arm stick out of the side of the box and point down at the ground with an arm connecting it to the knuckle on the driver's side of the axle?

If so, it's a Reverse Rotation box

yes it does. Also when turning the wheel clockwise, the pitman arm turns counterclockwise (when looking down onto it).
Does that maybe help?

Also, in trying to troubleshoot the sloppy steering, I climbed under there and checked for play in the pitman arm and steering shaft.
The pitman arm itself does not have any loose play.
I wrapped my fist around the part with the black arrow in the photo and twisted it back and forth. I could rotate it a little bit before it would "catch" the shaft (green arrow in picture)running back up to the steering wheel.
Would that little bit of play cause sloppy steering?

2Q==

Attachments

• Steering couplerdiagram.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 185
It can cause slack in the steering.. Its best to replace that with a u-joint..

yes it does. Also when turning the wheel clockwise, the pitman arm turns counterclockwise (when looking down onto it).
Does that maybe help?

Also, in trying to troubleshoot the sloppy steering, I climbed under there and checked for play in the pitman arm and steering shaft.
I wrapped my fist around the part with the black arrow in the photo and twisted it back and forth. I could rotate it a little bit before it would "catch" the shaft (green arrow in picture)running back up to the steering wheel.

2Q==

sorry, I accidentally hit post again. I'll upload some photos in a minute.

Thanks for the help guys

Does that maybe help?

2Q==

That's a Standard Rotation Box. This is a Reverse Rotation Box.

http://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-...PSESSID=scj59ufdjmkli695iocctitba7#msg1617534

Hmm...now I'm a little confused. I recall reading in another thread that if you look down upon the pitman arm while having someone turn the steering wheel, and the pitman arm turns opposite the steering wheel, that it would be a reverse rotation box.

Can you please verify that my previous understanding is incorrect?
You're saying if they turn opposite eachother the box is standard?

Thanks again...you guys have been a great help.

Dude, if there's play in the steering joint, you need to replace that first before you can accurately diagnose any other steering play. In fact, even if you replace the steering box, that loose joint will still need to be replaced.

I have a 1990 Dodge truck, and that joint was loose after 80K miles or so. I replaced the whole shaft & joint with a Borgeson joint, made specifically for our trucks and it's been perfect ever since.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1452

This is what you need. I haven't inspected your steering components for other problems, but I would bet this will cure your problem.

Once upon a time, Mopar offered a "rebuilding kit" for that joint similar to the ones available for our A Body cars, and not only was it a ***** to install, but even after I installed a grease fitting to it, it still failed mainly because the design of the seal sucks and allows sand and water to enter the joint. The joint is located in the wheel well and the tire kicks up all kinds of nasty stuff ruining the internal parts of the joint. The Borgeson joint is completely sealed so this isn't an issue.

If it was my truck, I would buy that steering shaft and be done with it. Thats what I did on my 90, and it now has 207000 miles on it and the Borgeson shaft is still tight.

Good Luck, bruther.

George

I would definitely fix the coupling before I replaced the the gear.. And yes the Borgeson or your homemade version of it is way better than the oem piece..Sorry I can't help you on the rotation question..

All good tips guys. I was actually looking at buying the new shaft anyway as a bit of good logic and safety. I believe I will start there. I'm trying to save the money to keep the truck going so I can spend funds on the 69 dart resto project.

Also, I've been trying to post pics of the truck, but the site won't load them..
Stay tuned...I'll get then in here eventually.

Follow the direction's of GeorgeR, he hit the nail on the head! Buy a new Borgeson shaft and that will take care of all your problem's. Best thing about it, it's made in the USA! Good Luck. Dodge33

And FWIW the truck I pictured above drives like a dream. Seriously it drives better than my 04 Ram. Driving the interstate and you let go of the wheel it will drive straight as an arrow. So dont give up on your truck..

Thanks guys. I just ordered the Borgenson steering shaft.
I can't thank you enough. I'm new to Dodge trucks and your knowledge definitely helped me out....hopefully I can return the favor some day.

I'm planning on replacing it next weekend.

Mike

Well.....I just replaced the steering shaft with the Borgenson unit I ordered.
I was very painless and made a tremendous difference.

You guys were correct, the original joint had been rebuilt. When I pulled on the shaft after unbolting it from the rag joint, the entire assembly flew apart. I'm surprised that Ma Mopar used such a poor design...we landed people on the moon a decade before this truck was built for god sake : )

None the less, the new shaft works great and thus far the boat-like sway and drift in the steering is gone.

It went so smoothly, that I had extra time to plumb in part of my air compressor set up in the garage.

Thanks guys!

-
Back