Steering Box Identification

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
I've found somebody who wants to sell a manual steering box from a 1971 Demon. He says it has 4 3/4 turns lock to lock. Was a 20 to 1 box offered as an option on these cars or is the guy probably just miscounting the number of turns? I need to know if I should jump on this or not. I'm wanting a faster ratio for my '64.

I think the 20-1 is the ratio, the actuall turns from lock to lock should be asked and confirmed by owners of both box's to be sure whats what.

I think the 20-1 is the ratio, the actuall turns from lock to lock should be asked and confirmed by owners of both box's to be sure whats what.

I'm not sure what you mean by both boxes. If you're referring to my original box & the sellers box, mine is about 5 1/2 turns, which would make it a 24-1 ratio. The seller counted his turns & came up with 4 3/4 turns which should be about 20-1. I know there were 16-1 boxes offered as an option on some cars & 24-1 boxes standard. I also know there are aftermarket parts to convert to a 20-1 ratio. I just don't know if 20-1 was ever a factory option. I am going to ask the guy to double check the turns on his box.

20:1 was a DC or MP kit. I think it came out in the late 70's as part of the Kit Car program.

I don't believe the 16:1 box made it past 1969 or so. The fast ratio power steering on T/A E-Bodies was created by using a longer pitman arm. There was never a longer arm fitted to a manual box from the factory.

-
Back