steering box problem ???

-

jerry's demon

Reaction score
have a 72 340 demon. when driving down road, continuallyhave to correct strg. right to left when on center.took it in for a alighnment and the mechanic
said someone had messed with the takeup adj.,so i need a new pwr. steering
box. what kind of an adj.,if any,can i make.or should i look for something else.
front end has been rebuilt. do i really need a new box? oh ,yes. just bought car a few months ago.
thanks.

You can tighten the adjustment of that valve by turning in the allen screw on top of the box. But if the gear is too worn it will make the steering very "twitchy" and darn near difficult to keep in the lane at slow speed. And if you restrict it too much it will over-work the pump and boil the fluid. You'll know when you see it gush out from under the pump cap.

How many miles on it? You probably need a new box. If people changed the fluid in these steering boxes once in awhile they would last forever. :banghead:

ace,
thanks for info. confirms mech. findings. have to look for new strg box.

If you're looking into new steering boxes, go for a firm feel one. Beats the light feel factory ones.

Just don't get it from Firm Feel Inc. of Vancouver WA. Go for Steer 'n Gear out of Columbus OH.

your sugg. of steer & gear is good. a friend also told me today about them.
i will call them tomorrow. will use firm feel. thanks again.
jerry

What power steering setup (brackets and pump) do you have on your deom? I am converting my 69 Cuda to the 70 and up style (alt, water pump, etc) and I cannot find a hose and pump setup that will clear my drivers motormount.

dukes 69,
i have orig p.s. that car was built with. i am chg'ing p.gearbox to a orig. reman from
steer & gear. it just came fri. has the firm feel mod. will post results when done.
jerry

dukes69 said:
What power steering seg to convert from naulatup (brackets and pump) do you have on your deom? I am converting my 69 Cuda to the 70 and up style (alt, water pump, etc) and I cannot find a hose and pump setup that will clear my drivers motormount.

I'm looking to convert from manual to power steering. Do you have contact information for steer n gear?

Thanks
Chas

-
Back