Steering Box Recommendations

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I was considering replacing the seals in the steering box on my 69 Dart because it is leaking bad from somewhere. After talking it over with a friend who owns several old and classic cars and reading some old threads on FABO, I am now considering just replacing the steering box in my car. I was checking the options available on RockAuto and there are several steering gear options. What brand of steering gear would you guys recommend? It appears the options are AC/Delco, Lares, ATSCO, or Cardone. Thanks.

Google 'steer and gear' in Ohio. Great guys and products. A simple phone call will put you on the right track.

I don't know. When I changed my 67 from manual to power steering I pulled the power steering gear, pump, all, from a 68 donor, did the factory service manuals checks and adjustments. I flushed and cleaned, and painted, threw new seals at steering gear and pump, put it in service with new hoses. Not one 1 drop of fluid added since. I did use actual power steering fluid instead of transmission fluid ( I forget what brand ). I don't know if that made a difference or not.
I gambled on those used parts. I never counted up the coins spent. I have to think you would spend more to replace the steering gear alone. Then all those other components would remain questionable.

My steering gear box was shot , so I bought a firm feel stage 3 gear box and I got to say I love it . The guys there are cool and if you have any questions they are very helpful.

Google 'steer and gear' in Ohio. Great guys and products. A simple phone call will put you on the right track.

Ditto, I just installed my Steer and Gear box. It's the extra firm version. I love it!

I just went with a Firm Feel factory ratio manual box this last week. I love it. They hand build per order and are cool guys to talk to. The box feels solid and turns with ease.

X3 their boxes are top notch and really nice.
Call them up they are in ohio so shipping will not kill you.

Does the steering box rebuild include the high pressure hose and return hose fittings installed? I think the source of one of my main leaks is at the connection between the angled fitting where the return hose comes out and the box itself. Is there a particular gasket that goes there?

Just put my Steer and Gear rebuilt power steering box back in 71 340 Duster. The high pressure hose was extra as was the kit to rebuild my coupler. They painted it up nice, were a pleasure to talk to, and it works perfectly...very satisfied. The aluminum fitting on top of the box is somewhat rare and they'll ask you to take it off so it doesn't get damaged in shipping. There is a small o ring that goes in there that they'll ship to you for when you reinstall. A guy who works at Autozone went with a cheap rebuild and is NOT happy with how it drives...for all the work you'll be doing, I'd highly recommend Steer and Gear...Good Luck!

-
Back