Steering Box Universal Coupling Sizes

-

DonPal

Reaction score
My 65 Dart original steering box universal coupling is too small for the rebuilt steering box. Original steering box diameter where universal coupling slides on is .625 in dia. & the rebuilt box is .723 in dia.

The box rebuilder list a range of models (dart, charger, coronet) & years (63 to 72) for the box.....is there a chance a different model or year carried a different coupling that would make my setup work.

The rebuilder was contacted & claimed I must not have original equipment............& doesn't know enough about the various years & diameter possibilites........

I don't remember seeing any different input shafts for the manual box. Even the van uses the same one. Do you have a photo of both the input shafts and your coupler? The '65 model should have a set screw holding the coupler to the input shaft instead of the later roll pin but the specs should be the same.

I've 30-40 of those boxes and they all have the bigger diameter.......

I see most sellers of the A body manual boxes for 63 to 72 list the input spline shaft as 5/8 dia (.625) which is identical to the power steering box size that I pulled from the 65 Dart.

The slant six forum people think the rebuilder possiblily shipped a C body box instead of an a body and improperly labeled it.

I've checked a 65 manual pitman arm and it slides on properly

I was hoping to solve the issue by finding a coupler with a .723 dia spline that would fit the box & avoid the hassle with the steering rebuilder that is acting like my Dart was modified.........

What size coupler is used on 73 & up boxes?

Those manual boxes were all the same diameter on the input shaft.....A, B, C, E, B-van. All of them are the .723 diameter. The power box has the small diameter shaft at .625. The pitman shaft changed diameters in '73 to the same size as the '65-up C-body power box and '73-up A,B,E,F, etc power box.

So I need a steering coupling from a manual....got any or know where I can get them?

The parts manual lists the coupling for darts, coronets, chargers, & monacos as 2585335 (power) & 2585334 (manual)

Ebay has the replacement coupling for sale in the NOS box & lists it to fit all models without distinguishing between type steering box & says that both above part numbers are interchangeable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-...tZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Consequently something can't be right about the facts..............

Did you remove a manual box from your car? If this is a conversion from power steering, you'll need to change the whole shaft as it will be too short to reach a manual box. Either that or you can buy one of those megabuck adapters and use your existing column. Usually a good used column is cheaper and you'll have some spare parts for the future.

It doesn't say in the ad but I suspect the coupler is for power steering. I don't show a listing in my books for any of those part numbers he mentions. Is yours a conversion from power? If so, you'll need to change the shaft too as yours will be too short, or, you can buy one of those megabuck adapters and keep your existing column. Buying the correct column is usually cheaper and you end up with some spare parts!

Since I'm converting from power steering to manual I got the longer steering column & painted it the correct color. It did not include a universal steering coupler......

I was in the process of using the power steering coupler when I discovered the fitup problem. It appears I can get a new coupling from:

http://www.steerandgear.com/Chrysler_Catalog.html

Assuming the manual box I was sent is correct with the .723 diameter input spline & the above advertised new coupling is correct I have the solution.

The incorrect EBAYad listing both the manual & power steering couplers as interchangeable threw me off.

OH! I totally missed that you were converting from power to manual in your other thread! As you've already discovered, you can buy both kinds of factory-style coupler from Steer & Gear, or see here for info on a different, probably better type of coupler from Borgeson.

I missed your mention of this being a conversion too.....as you found out, it's not a "universal" steering coupler. You have to get either a manual or power one that matches the box you're using.

-
Back