Steering column bushing

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how the remove the intermediate tube, shift lever, etc. I need to install a bushing, that has a 2' diameter, so my steering column is supported.
How do I go about getting that stuff off?
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• strgcolum2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 230
  • bushing2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 238
Inside the shifter bell at top of column, the bolts have square nuts somewhat captured in notches formed in the wall of the shift tube. The whole column needs to come apart from the top.

Yes, the entire column needs to come apart. If it's like other body styles, the lever at the bottom is welded to the center tube. Once the upper part of the column is disassembled, the center tube will slide out the bottom.

I look at the bushing pictured and assume you plan to install floor shift.
Before you go further into that column you should be informed... Once the shift tube is removed there will be nothing to hold the shift collar in place. If you have collars for a floor shift column or plan to modify yours to delete the column shift, it has been done. If it was easy everybody would be doing it and floor shift columns wouldn't be so valuable. Good luck with whatever you are attempting.

Three bolts under dash and three bolts at floor board. Don't forget to unplug wiring harness oh and remove plastic trim from around column. Once you remove the shift tube cut above the existing bearing, remove the clip and push the bearing up far enough to hole the shift tube and install your new bearing.

What year of car? A column shift? I just broke my column shift apart so I can install a floor shift collars up top and do away with gear shifter, indicator, etc.

-
Back