Steering column collar and hub

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Searched and came up empty, so this the official HELP post...

How in the tar nation does one reassemble the steering column collar and hub so the hub is “locked” in position and will not turn?

I have put this thing back together as I took it apart...or so I thought.

Why do I think my issue has to do with those 2 little square head bolts that I can’t figure out exactly what they do?

This is making me coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs!

Thank you in advance for any help/hints.

IIRC...those 2 bolts are what hold it tight. I believe I just started them and the hub slips down over the shaft collar retention piece and allows the bolts and hub to then be tightened. I might have pics but will take some time to find them.

IIRC...those 2 bolts are what hold it tight. I believe I just started them and the hub slips down over the shaft collar retention piece and allows the bolts and hub to then be tightened. I might have pics but will take some time to find them.

I believe you’re correct now that I’ve looked at it out of the frustration zone. Looks like the trick is tightening them alternatively a little at a time. That and PATIENCE...

Yep...I think it took me a couple tries...even after i realized just how it had to be done.

Third time was the charm for me. Thank you for the reply and help.
I am replacing the steering column collar as well. Eliminating the shift on column. I cannot get the collar to seat correctly or both bolt heads to catch and tighten.....
Been playing with this for hours and it's not cooperating. May be an issue with the column too. The sleeve that the bolt heads are supposed to catch on is pretty tweaked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Nevermind it was the column sleeve. I made it more circular and it went right together....Should have looked closer in the first place.

-
Back