Steering Column Collar

-

rklein383

Reaction score
My steering column in my 4 speed 383-s has a collar that rotates as if it were a three on the tree. However, there are no holes for the shift lever. Do all floor shifted cars have a collar that rotates like this. It is the lower collar, the other one is stationary.

Sounds like the bolts are missing or have become loose and detached. The collar should not rotate

Could it be the key release collar? Are you able to move key from run to off , and remove key in any gear, or only in reverse?

Since he said 383s I figure its a 67'-69' barracuda and the key is on the dash

Sorry, the key is in the dash. The top collar has two bolts that attach the collar to the column. There are no bolts in the lower collar, it just slides in.
Rod

I think you'll find a small hole in that lower collar. could be a allen head bolt hidden inside. More info might be found in a service manual.

If you have the wheel off the column you should see two slotted nuts the bolts they tighten
on have square heads that the corners of catch the lower column collar by a capture type method. If those become loose or have ever been loosened the square head will not catch.
You really need to pull the wheel remove the turn signal switch and the snap ring and pull the turn signal/bearing housing and lower column collar and you will then see how the lower collar is attached the the upper collar.

I just looked at a 4 speed column I restored and remembered what's going
on inside there. There is a key spot welded to the inner tube that the lower
Collar is slide onto so the inner shaft housing would have to be made stationary
to keep the lower collar from turning

My memory is failing no doubt. I was thinking the collar for column shift has those bolts and special square offset nuts that attach it to a shift tube.
The correct collar for a floor shift car has a set screw attaching it to the outer tube.

It's all back together. The lower collar rotates about 30-40 degrees, just like if it were set up for a three on the tree, except there are no provisions on the collar for the shifter.

It may be an automatic column that has been changed over. I cut the gear indicator and shift lever bump off of mine and filled with fiberglass then changed to a floor shift. My lower collar moves back and forth the same way. Otherwise, it looks just like a factory floor shift column.

It may be an automatic column that has been changed over. I cut the gear indicator and shift lever bump off of mine and filled with fiberglass then changed to a floor shift. My lower collar moves back and forth the same way. Otherwise, it looks just like a factory floor shift column.

Nope, obviously never been altered other than a coat of paint I put on it 20 years ago.

did you look at the 2 square headed bolts inside the column? they hold the 2 pieces together.
You will have to remove the wheel &the turn signal indicator plastic --

Lawrence

The square headed bolts have nothing to do with the lower collar. The bolts attach the upper collar to the column itself. I have had these apart at least a half dozen times over the years. The lower collar just slips onto the column and then the upper collar is prevents the lower collar from sliding off the column but is allowed to rotate.
rod

-
Back